Dark country / modern bluegrass

In the realm of dark country I’m quite a fan of Colter Wall:

2 Likes

Also how about this:

Or this:

Oh, and this:

Hmm… apparently I like this kinda music more than I realised!

5 Likes

I like especially the Builders and the Butchers, thank you @infra !

2 Likes

Love this song by them

2 Likes

I recorded a cover of this one

:v::grin:

2 Likes

Thanks for pointing me at that, that’s soooo cool.

2 Likes

Redeye Caravan, a greek band I discovered this week :

2 Likes

Not sure if this has been shared yet but when I think “Dark Country/Americana” these are the guys I think of:

The Handsome Family

2 Likes

Have you been able to figure out what gives Dark Country it’s signature sound?

@terb - I thought this was some cool international juxtoposition, so I had to throw it on this thread. I’ve been dedicated this year to buying more albums and streaming less. As a result, I’ve been on bandcamp quite a bit.
This band was featured, and I just love this sound.
It’s dark folk music with a drone/noise aesthetic from France.
Reminds me a bit of Godspeed You Black Emperor but with lyrics I can’t understand.
Lemme know what you think!

1 Like

thank you @Gio !

I must say it’s not my cup of tea, there is a lot of this kind of music in France, it’s from the celtic part of France (north-west). I never went to this region(1), it’s not my culture really. but yeah I guess it’s some kind of european dark country, indeed !

at least I understand the lyrics :grin: more or less :sweat_smile:

1 : for those who might be interested, the celtic culture is in this dark green zone in Europe, it’s kinda hardcore in those area :

5 Likes

Colter Wall has always been a fave of mine, and Stella West. It took me a really long time to find ‘the sound’ and I eventually pinned it down and I’m finding new stuff everyday. I’ve heard some people call it Outlaw Country or Desert Blues. Haha

1 Like

thank you @indigoing23 , and welcome aboard by the way :slight_smile: I’m always happy to learn about new stuff to discover in this register