Post your covers! (2019-2022)

Here is my americana/country/bluegrass cover of the year ! not very original, as @Lanny already recorded a cover of this song.

but, well ā€¦ I felt in love with this song the first time I saw Oā€™Brother. by the way I love more or less every J&E Coen movie Iā€™ve seen. those guys are very talented in my opinion.

The Soggy Bottom Boys & Dan Tyminski - I Am A Man Of Constant Sorrow

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5LvsUUkl8m8

Here again I made my own bass line, which is not much more than a more evolved version of the original one. As for my previous country cover, and not as usual, Iā€™m playing without a pick and with a foam block near the bridge. The preamp used is the Bass POD Pro with the Ampeg SVT-VR model, but with different settings than what I usually use. Also I used the Dod FX84 in front of the preamp.

9 Likes

Coen Brothers are amazing. I mean, Big Lebowski is enough to vault them to epic tier status, but Fargo was also really well done, and Barton Fink is just so weird.

The P-Bass tone with the SVT model is spot on for that song.

3 Likes

Sounds great as always. Definitely twice as good without a pick. :upside_down_face:

My wife has asked me to do a cover of a particular song. Started looking at it this morning. Not used to memorizing more than 20 sec or so of a song, so going to be interestingā€¦

2 Likes

Same here! Great cover, and well thought-through choice of tone, plucking style and, uhm, outfit :grin:

I hope that is the summit cross there in the background!?! :open_mouth:

2 Likes

itā€™s the cross of the village where I live, maybe 20 meters from my kitchen :grin:

4 Likes

Thank you Jack Daniels, and thank you @Gio for telling me about this great band !

The Devil Makes Three - Old Number Seven

First of all, believe it or not but the N7 t-shirt is not here on purpose at all, it was not intended to match the song name and I realized the similarity only when I was exporting the video file. funny :astonished: (itā€™s from my favorite video game of all times : Mass Effect)

About the bass line, here again I went with my own bassline which is some kind of more evolved version of the original line. The thing is that the original song is played with an upright and I was not trying at all to sound like an upright ; obviously you donā€™t play the same way on an upright and on an eletric fretted bass and Iā€™m totally OK with that. Iā€™m working on what I would call my ā€œdark country grooveā€ and Iā€™m trying to write interesting bass lines with my own feeling but I hope it doesnā€™t sound too busy for such a minimal song. what do you think ? honest criticism please :v::sweat_smile:

The song and the bass line are not difficult. The (very relative) difficulty here is that there is absolutly no hard tempo reference. I mean, no drum. You just have to listen to the other instruments, feel the tempo and the groove and make your place into the mix. In fact the drum is replaced by two things : the bass line of course (and here the foam is really usefull to give a more percussive yet smooth attack), and the percussive playing on the guitars. Itā€™s cool but not really usual for me, as almost all of the music I listen to have a drum.

Tone-wise, nothing very original, itā€™s my current Americana standard tone : Greenie with the foam block, Dod FX84, Bass POD Pro with SVT-VR model and a very lightly dirty tone (almost clean).

:kissing_cat:

8 Likes

Very nice!

2 Likes

LOVE this one @terb!! Whereā€™s the Moonshine?

2 Likes

donā€™t know but my orange cat seems to be drunk :joy_cat:

1 Like

Pretty flawless, @terb - excellent job! You might be able to get a tone closer to that of an upright by plucking much closer to the neck!

Andā€¦ I am probably not the one to give any advice about too busy bass lines :smile:

2 Likes

Iā€™m not at all searching for an upright-like tone :grin: but yes what you say works pretty well, also plucking only with one finger and not alternating helps sounding like an upright ! and also ā€œthinā€ single coil pickups work better for this, like JB pickups.

1 Like

Ah, yes, sorryā€¦ my bad!

no problem, still a very interesting topic in fact !

Very cool, @terb . . . :sunglasses:

Gotta love your style . . . :wink:

2 Likes

:heart: Bioware games. Hopefully they will give up on Anthem soon and get back to Mass Effect and the Old Republic games. I was way into Knights of the Old Republic, KotOR II, and SWTOR. Jade Empire was great too.

For the song this was perfect.

donā€™t know. I believe Mass Effect Andromeda has not been a big commercial success even if itā€™s a great game in my opinion. donā€™t know if there will be another Mass Effect game ! I never played the Old Republic games but I see exactly what it is.

Sadly I think Bioware is probably toast. Anthem is failing hard, SWTOR is down to a trickle of new content and a few die-hards still sticking around, andā€¦ thatā€™s it, really. Thatā€™s all they currently have. Weā€™ll see what they can come up with in the next year. They apparently have a game in the works for ā€œone of their most prestigious franchisesā€, which means Dragon Age, Star Wars (Old Republic), or Mass Effect.

I highly doubt itā€™s Mass Effect , considering the loooong waiting time for Andromeda. maybe Dragon Age ā€¦

1 Like

I love it.
Nice work, sir.
The walking is great, the additional rhythm and notes doesnā€™t take away from the tune, and itā€™s all stylistically right there.

DM3 have added a drummer for their latest records and toursā€¦ itā€™s kinda funny. You can barely pick out the drum pattern because the guitars (or banjo) sounds are so percussive and so heavy in the mix.

Lucia is their bassist, and she rules, and started playing with the band having no previous experience playing. Their early shows - even though it was just the 3 of them - were rowdy, heavy punk-feeling shows. People would mosh, go absolutely nuts. Thatā€™s their energy. Gutsy, punk, dark vibes for days.
So glad you like it, and great job on the cover.

2 Likes

thank you @Gio !

yeah it seems to be a very interesting band, I did not listen to everything for now but I plan to do so :grin: the kind of band where there is some kind of magic, an alchemy, something that just make everything work together perfectly well. so cool.

2 Likes