Dark Folk Bass

I just released the first track from my solo bass dark folk project YouTube, Bandcamp. I’d love feedback on what I’m doing, and recommendations for other musicians who are doing something similar. The only other solo bass music I’m aware of is jazz, funk, or some type of ambient post-rock. I think the low tones of the bass make finger-picked folk songs sound dark in a way that can’t be captured with regular guitars, and I’d be surprised if no one has tried to do this type of thing before.

IMAGE ALT TEXT

10 Likes

Oh wow, that’s excellent. You’re clearly pretty far past a beginner level :slight_smile:

That works very well as a folk instrument, I agree. I haven’t heard much if anything like that at all.

For a solo bassist who is not jazz/funk, I don’t know if you will count her as solo as she plays with a drummer, but Kiyoshi is all about her, her bass, and her drummer.

Here’s her channel, tons of content. 5 solo albums so far; she’s also the bassist for Marty Friedman’s band.

Not folk in any way but an interesting bass solo artist - more straight up slap/rock than anything else.

2 Likes

Very interesting and well played!

2 Likes

that’s interesting, it could make a good original soundtrack for a modern western movie :grin:

3 Likes

I really liked the vibe. Would work well in a game soundtrack too.

3 Likes

That sounded great! I certainly have never heard anyone play this style on a bass and it definitely is a great sound!

3 Likes

Thanks for the recommendation! This is awesome!

3 Likes

Here’s the next song from my project. A Jewish folk song this time.

IMAGE ALT TEXT

1 Like

This is cool!! There is actually a pop guy who does all bass and vocals, no guitars. Craig Martini.

1 Like

“All bass no guitar” is Kiyoshi’s motto too :slight_smile:

2 Likes