Dead / Wolf Note on my G?

Hello all,

I might have a problem on my new Vintera which I noticed while I was playing long notes today…

As you can hear from the video G on 3rd fret of the E string has much less sustain in respect to any other notes near it. I also tested the other Gs around but they are obviously octaves of this so they resonate at higher frequencies…

I am already watching any video that I can find on the subject… but ıf you guys have any suggestions I would love to hear them…

Thanks!
Fahri

2 Likes

Have you checked the intonation?
On my Yamaha TRBX504 if the intonation is off the sustain definitely suffers.

2 Likes

Hi @Fahri.

This is a ‘characteristic’ on every single bass.
I think it was Anthony Jackson (a big session guy) who spent a lot of time trying to find a design that eliminted this as best as possible (I could be wrong on the name).

There are lots of videos etc on it, but, net/net, its a thing.
This is why some people like to try a bass before you buy a bass, or try several of the same model and select the ‘best’ one.

Remember one thing, when you are home playing in isolation, you hear every little thing. When in a band setting, not so much. Unless you are doing a very very slow bass solo like in your video, it probably doesn’t matter in the long run.

5 Likes

So true.

2 Likes

I actually did try this bass before buying but I did not know about this “characteristic” until now…

I was playing Hotel California and it wasn’t making it to a whole note in the intro…

For me this quick solution made it already better…

This video gave me the idea

Today I will be playing with a band for the first time and most pieces are kinda slow (Sailing, Hotel California, wind of change)

3 Likes

I had a setup quite recently but sure I can take a look at that as well. Still why would it be on a single note then?

2 Likes

Perhaps it’s a fret wire slightly off? . . . :thinking:

Not sure but I know intonation affects sustain on my TRBX504 so I thought I would just pass that info on to you.

2 Likes