Dean Rhapsody Q4

A guy from work wants to sell me a Dean Rhapsody Q4 for $100 with a fender gig bag

I don’t currently have a jazz bass, so I’m debating buying it. From what I’ve been able to determine it ran about $550 new.

Anybody have experience with this bass? Thoughts?

1 Like

We’ll, the Fender gig bag is probably worth $50, so it’s a low risk gamble to try another bass. It may not be what you want, but it may help you find out what you do want.

2 Likes

Made in Korea instruments are usually high quality (better than MIM Fender), and very often manufactured by Cor-Tek, better known as Cort. I think it’s likely quite a nice instrument for the price.

Mine have never been, they have always been thin unpadded garbage, even with MIJ’s.

2 Likes

Sure, it may be “thin unpadded garbage,” but that probably still costs you $50.

2 Likes

Ok that’s true yeah :rofl:

1 Like

Fortunately this bag feels padded even if worn. I like it pretty well.

1 Like

I have one, and I’m very happy with it. One thing to know though - the 2 piece bridge is not adjustable for the action and the Q4 tends to be a bit on the higher side, so just be aware of that. A Franklin for it is a screaming deal.
Necks are 5 piece and very stable. Put a battery in it. It should be dead quiet with the EMG HZ. Make sure the Grover tuners are still on it (which in the pictures it appears they are). They do get cannibalized sometimes. Make sure the truss rod moves in both directions. Take good look at the neck and frets. They can get a bit worn when used w/ ss strings, and since they stopped making this bass in 2004, if it’s been played/gigged a bunch, it may have some wear.

1 Like

Definitely neat looking. I dig the woodgrain and the horn shape.

1 Like

It appears to be in great shape, at least in the pics.

100 bucks for a more than decent bass (cheap gig bag notwithstanding) is a screaming deal. If you like it, get it. :+1:

1 Like

Thanks. I haven’t had it set up yet but yes the action is very high on it. Hopefully the luthier can figure out something. It’s playable enough for now, but it requires me to be more precise with my left hand which is good, but I don’t want to get in the habit of using too much pressure

On this model, you may be able to shim the neck which could help w/ a high action.