Death Metal? Anyone?

There are some amazing bass players in the overall Metal genre but I find myself really digging Alex Webster who is the bassist for Cannibal Corpse. I’ll admit I’m not a huge fan of the lyrics but Alex is phenomenal.

When I watch this video of him playing I almost want to just give up and throw my bass in the trash, LOL (j/k).

3-finger Galloping (wtf?)
64th notes
Left-hand speed and pinpoint accuracy

If you get a chance, watch some of his interviews. He’s the nicest guy.

Alex Webster Play Along

8 Likes

Thanks for the tip. I assume you dig Robert Trujillo and Frank Bello? Two more serious thrash to P-funk stuff for Robert who are all fingers.

I will check his interview out.

4 Likes

Yes! Love them both. Metallica and Anthrax are great. Cliff Burton was my very first inspiration to play the bass. Trujillo is awesome also. Sometimes I feel bad for Trujillo because he’s always being compared to Burton. Trujillo is just awesome in his own right.

5 Likes

Eugene Kostyuk is pretty cool too :sunglasses:

6 Likes

I’m not deep in to death metal but I am way in to post-metal/post-hardcore and recently (thanks to @terb) blackgaze, most recently Oathbreaker and Deafheaven with a side of Cult of Luna.

4 Likes

It’s funny because when I think Trujillo I think Suicidal Tendencies, not Metallica :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Jinjer are an awesome band and Eugene surely offers some nice playthrough videos. But it might be too early to try those for me :sweat_smile:

5 Likes

I’m not so much into death metal, I’m more into the doom/sludge/stoner side of rock/metal which is some kind of the opposite. but I listen to some death metal occasionnaly

:metal::grin:

the ultimate reference is Entombed in my opinion, but I like very much some more modern death bands like :

Vitriol (with black metal accents)

Cattle Decapitation (with a touch of deathcore)

Bring Me The Horizon (pretty much a definition of deathcore ; only the early songs are interesting in my opinion ; this song is funny because it is very “core” and it goes to the crabcore and even the djent territory)

Jinjer (deathcore ; this song is an absolute masterpiece)

2 Likes

I’ve been listening to 70s metal for like forever, but I discovered most of the doom/sludge/stoner side only recently. My first big revelation was Desertfest Antwerpen two years ago :heart_eyes:
Been trying to get more into the genre since then , but it’s hard to keep track of every genre I like :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

I definitly can help about the doom/sludge/stoner things, and @Gio too !

3 Likes

True, that’s the impression I got from browsing through the forum :wink:

4 Likes

@terb definitely can help about the doom/sludge/stoner things, and I can too!
Ha.

My heavy rotation right now:
Elder (x5)
Hyborean
Cult of Luna
Pallbearer

How do you find your music, @Krescht? I usually do Spotify, but if YouTube links would be preferred, I can fish those up.

2 Likes

Well, I have some friends that are into different music genres that can help me out. Otherwise, it’s a music streaming app or through the yearly festival that got me hooked :smiley:
Unfortunately, it’s been cancelled this year…
Right now, I really enjoy Monkey3 who I have on heavy rotation :sunglasses:

4 Likes

Wow, that was intense! Love it!!
Thanks for sharing!!!

3 Likes

Just phenomenal. And now I will have them in heavy rotation! Heading to Apple Music right now…

3 Likes

Loving me some Hyborian also!!

3 Likes

Yes, RObert Trujillo to me is Suicidal, but more so Infectious Grooves because he really is the heart of that band, being a funky punk band

Although I love Cliff Burton, I am NOT a Metallica fan at all. Sure, early Metallica was good, cuz of Cliff, but they are a stadium Rock band who sold their Garage Days soul. I could go on and on about my dislike for Metallica, but I will end it with this. I dislike Metallica so much, I didn’t even know Robert Trujillo was in the band until recently when I was looking up something on his wiki.
And I was looking up to see what ST Albums he first appeared on. So, in all actuality, Metallica licked out to get such a talent who may be the closes match out in that genre to step in and continue where Cliff left off, not just a replacement, but bring his game to the table.

Funny, Les Claypool once tried out for Metallica right after Cliff died, before Primus got big. He said he walked in, cracked a bunch of 1 liners that went right over their heads, played a bit, and left, never heard back.

I watched a YT clip of a big fest they played, they came out for an encore and he slapped the opening of “Master Of Puppets” then the went back off stage. Man he ripped it,

2 Likes

Bro! That’s some righteous dislike! Haha!! I most definitely like their early stuff way better than the new.

4 Likes

Webster is an animal! My favorite metal, (and one of my favorite overall) bassist is Ryan Martinie of Mudvayne and Soften the Glare.

1 Like

Jinjer is amazing! Would love to see a Spiritbox/Jinjer tour as soon as possible.

3 Likes