Demo a cab without an amp head

A question for all the amp savvy folks on the forum…
I’ve sold my Rumble 500 amp head on Reverb and need to pack and ship it ASAP. Another potential buyer is going to come by to check out my Rumble 115 cab, but not until next week. I suspect the buyer of the cab will want to make sure it works before forking over the cash.
Is there any possible way to demo the cab without an amp head?
If not, I’ll have to ask him to bring his own amp head.

4 Likes

Might be the easiest solution @PamPurrs

7 Likes

I had no idea that you couldn’t use a cab without an amp head, for me cabs were just big amps! Living and learning!

2 Likes

A cab(inet) doesn’t have a built-in amp(lifier). If it does, it’s called a combo.

4 Likes

I would concur - this is also the best test scenario for the potential buyer!

4 Likes

So basically Pam you’ll be down to the basses, audio interface and monitors? This works great for me.

3 Likes

Yup! And a pre-amp (VTBass DI).
Out of curiousity, in the highly unlikely scenario in which I get a gig, could I just plug the pre-amp into a P.A. speaker?

3 Likes

More or less! Typically you would be taking the DI out of the preamp and running it to a mixer that the sound guy was running, and the mixer would be sending line outs to the PA’s. But yes this is very common.

If you are interested buying in your own PA’s in the future this is still how I would do it, via an inexpensive mixer.

3 Likes

Well, the question is now moot. Somebody bought the cab on Reverb and paid $100 to ship it.
It’s still an interesting topic though.

2 Likes