Demotivating bass lessons?

Asking questions and prompting discussions about things is often just as important a contribution as answering questions. The music theory subreddit is a cesspool of nonsense and I’ve wasted many hours there but it’s also pointed me in directions where I did some research and learned a lot.

Music theory is way more of an art than it is a science, there are many areas where even well educated people do not agree on how/why things work. Often, when someone asks a question, the real value is not in the answer but in the discussion around the question.

2 Likes

For a start my name is not Percy :rofl:

Yes I did, in regards to the number of keys.

And 24 Keys is not the right answer.

Professionals can make mistakes too, as we all can. :slightly_smiling_face:

So the guy on the internet refers you to this Victor Wooten video, assuming he is professional enough for you. :slightly_smiling_face:

Now, as you say, we can draw a line under this conversation. :+1:

3 Likes

Actually, yes it is, if you rule out the enharmonic keys, which IMO you should, but mileage varies. In any regard, 24 is equally correct to 30 there.

3 Likes

Thanks @Celticstar, I watched the Wooten video and I’m still genuinely lost. I just about understand how we get to 24 keys but not to 30. Unless he’s adding in enharmonic keys?
How is playing F# major different from playing Gb major. The sounds and finger patterns are identical.

4 Likes

I mean, if you throw in the enharmonics, might as well add the theoreticals as well. Which no one would do. You don’t see most people referring to G# Major; it’s the enharmonic key to Ab major, but few would seriously use it normally as the key for an entire song, due to the double sharp required to avoid having two G’s in the key.

If you include theoreticals there’s an infinite number of keys, as you can just keep tacking on flats and sharps.

Ok technically I guess once you add twelve accidentals you wrap around so Bb maj and Bbbbbbbbbbbbbb maj are the same key. So I guess not infinite, but a good illustration of how silly this can get.

24 and 30, both fine answers to the original question.

4 Likes

I will suggest that if we accept that there are 30 keys, then we also have to accept that a piano has 15 keys in each octave :thinking:

1 Like

Yeah, I’m in the “24” camp myself, but can see why someone would say 30, even if I disagree :slight_smile:

Including enharmonics makes no sense to me either. But I guess YMMV.

3 Likes

He’s talking about “keys” and “key signatures” like they’re the same thing and he’s including enharmonics.

There are:

1 key signature with no sharps or flats
7 key signatures with sharps
7 key signatures with flats
For a total of 15 key signatures, 3 of which are enharmonic.

12 major keys with 15 key names; 3 are enharmonic
12 relative minor keys with key 15 key names; 3 are en harmonic.

That’s 24 distinct keys with 30 names.

Many circles of fifths leave out the en harmonic names and only show 12 major and 12 minor.

6 Likes

It’s also kind of bizarre to suggest that if you’re going to play ALL the scales, you’d play them in 30 keys because you’re only going to play 24 different scales…but that’s not even right for ALL the scales because that’s commonly accepted as being 48 scales:

12 major
12 natural minor
12 harmonic minor
12 melodic minor

1 Like

And then there’s two pentatonics and one blues.

And then (dun dun dunnnnnnnn…) the modes :rofl:

3 Likes

This is why I stopped reading Rick Beato’s theory book on page 26 :wink:

3 Likes

Granted, scales and keys are related but sightly different concepts. But still - yeeeeaaaahhhhh.

2 Likes

I was thinking my mental age was around 19 but ……….

3 Likes

It’s really in the thinking and or writing.
Writing as in “I’m in Gb so I write the notes a certain way”
Thinking as in “I need to solo in Gb so I need to put my finger on a note and think if it a certain way, G# vs Ab etc otherwise I will get lost in the key and screw up”

Yes, bass is based on patterns but other instruments are not. Yes still same note but it’s tough to think in one but mean the other. Not knowing the harmonic keys by thinking of them “the other way” will stop you dead in your tracks trying to improvise.

2 Likes

Exactly, and why I am in the 30 camp :+1: :+1: :+1:

1 Like

To wrap this up, so as a beginner, I understand. There are 24 Keys but if you double count the enharmonic keys you get to 30.

What we are doing is saying that because an object has 2 names we count it twice?

Here’s a picture.

Q. What is it and how many of them are there?
A. A tomato and there is one of them.

Wrong. If you also use the French spelling of ‘tomate’ then there are two tomatoes in the picture.

From a beginners perspective this is how music theory looks. I’m learning to drive the car trying to remember which pedal is the brake and meanwhile someone is explaining how an internal combustion engine works. Fascinating, but confusing.

3 Likes

But what a fine looking to-mah-to. Or is it to-may-to?

Let’s call the whole thing off.

5 Likes

Whether you state it in Celsius or Fahrenheit, the temperature is the same outside. No sense in arguing what to call it.

4 Likes

Going to use this hack next time I need to make tomato sauce. Just going to buy one tomato and call it multiple names.

Also have just discovered that I have 3 daughters and not just the one that I had formally understood I had.

1 Like

For me it’s mainly two things:

1. if I don’t like the song (‘takin’ me higher’ really started to grate on my ears),
  2. if I’m not able to play something reliably - due to lack of skill - and no amount of practice seems to fix it.

And then a bonus one - for feeling motivated to play, I need the rest of my life sorted out. I feel a bit guilty taking time out to play if I’m in the middle of a house reno or the roof is leaking.

4 Likes