Differences among ray34s?

Also paging @Al1885

3 Likes

Ray34 stingray itself have many different versions but you are talking about us the classic active model.

The Ray34CA is the same import version of the Stingray classic SLO 2 bands EQ Parallel wiring pickup with 3 knobs vol/bass/treble so the next available hole on the control plate can accommodate the jack. Sits on a slab body no belly carved. Jazz profile neck 38mm nutwidth. It’s the same pickup spec as the USA S.U.B. model.

It’s a better spec than the Ray24 which the pickups is wired in series not parallel. The ray24 is also couple hundred bucks cheaper than the ray34ca. I have both CA models and definitely the ray34ca is a better bass than the 24ca.

All the Classic Active model have the stingray 2 ears pickup mounts and the regular ray34 would have a long flat ramp same as the Ernie Ball sterling and bongo pickups. My money is on the 2023 model lineup of sterling bass to have passive pickup on their models.
Ray34ca

Ray24ca

Ray34

Ray35

3 Likes

Great info and kudos on your beautiful collection.

2 Likes

Man, I do believe I’d have to get me one of those.

2 Likes

Yeah, the passive Musicman is big and Sterling already have one passive model the ShortScale and it was a success, I’m very sure they are finding the way to add to the lineup, it’s probably cheaper cost to build too.

The one thing I know for the fact is that they are not producing anymore Cutlass and Caprice, “No future plan on those 2 models, Ever” So the rumor was true. They were pissed that Fender released the Humbucker model and it was the retaliation.

1 Like

As far as I know there’s just single SBMM Ray34 model.
Difference is only if it’s pre 2018 (on headstock it says Ray34) its chungus (pretty heavy), and newer one is lighter and just says Stingray on headstock.

However you have other models of SBMM, I’ll order by pricing:

• Ray4 (aka SUB Series) Ceramic pickup wired in series (cant be wired in parallel, hot af), 2 band eq (not the best quality but its fine) basswood body (soft and light wood), and Jazz narrow neck, Jatoba or Maple fretboard.
  • Ray24CA Ceramic pickup wired in series (can be wired in parallel), 2 band eq (same as in Ray4) mahagony body , and Jazz narrow neck, better bridge than on Ray 4, Jatoba or Maple fretboard.
  • Ray34 Alnico pickup wired in parallel, 3 band eq, ash body , and wider neck with better finish, bridge like on Ray24, better tuners, and you have rosewood or maple fretboard option. And insane colors for 2022 lineup. Also newer models offer roasted necks.

P.S. There’s also passive shortscale, 5 string, double humbucker 4 string, double humbucker 5 strings.

However Im not aware of Jazz neck Ray34, maybe those are old models.

So if it’s 2 band eq you have jack in front, if it’s 3 band it’s on the side.

2 Likes

That, I know. I own a Sterling short scale and it’s a stone killer. I’d love to have a standard scale equivalent.

2 Likes

Yes there are different variation of the Ray34 on different model year, matching headstock, roasted maple neck, roasted maple ebony fingerboard, blackout hardware and 21 and 22 fret neck, and more.

1 Like

ouch, AL, you got my bucket bass. Damn it. Well, if anybody (besides me) deserves one its you.
Man oh Man, what I wouldn’t do for one of those.
I have about 5 basses listed for sale, if I can sell any 2 of them, I will be getting that Black ASH 34.

One thing you forgot to add about the Ray34ca and the Ray24 is that the Ray34ca is only available on the used market, since they pretty much changed the Ray34ca to the Ray24ca.
I think, like you said, the Ray34ca was voiced better with better pick ups, and was wired in parallel (the standard Stingray method), however, you forgot to mention that it is possible to change the Ray24 to be wild in parallel in about 50-10 minutes and that will help a bit with sound.
However, I still think the pick up from the Ray34ca was better then the stock pick up that comes with the Ray24ca. That said, you can get a slightly better sound if you take the time to wire it in parallel.

Unfortunately, the Ray4 has the same crapppy pick up that the Ray24ca has, but they potted it, and don’t give you access to the start and finish of the winding, therefore making it impossible to wore in parallel, unless you get creative and don’t mind messing with the potting.

AS far as upgrading the pick up and pre-amp, you can get a 3 band eq with a push / pull pot, so that you doh’t have to modify the control plate, but get access to the 3 and pre-amp if you so desire.
Personally, I like my Ray4, and I have used both Aguilar (my preference) and Kent Armstrong (a strong 2nd), both with the stock pre-amp, and I have had no problems with the simple 2 band eq. I know some people will want to add the 3 band (possible with many name brands, as long as you get a push / pull pot, so you can still use the 3 volume / tone pots, AND the input jack on the control plate.
It is not that big a deal however, if you prefer to get a 3 band eq, with no push / pull pot, and utilize all 4 holes on the control plate, and then drill a side hole thru the body, into the control cavity, and add a side jack (like would be fond on USA EBMM Stingrays with the 3 band eq.
It is also notable to add that the 78 Stingray (year 1 and 2 of the Stingray from Leo Fender, prior to selling to Music Man) only had a 2 band pre-amp.
There are also clones of that exact 2 band pre-amp widely available in case you prefer to go with the classic Stingray 2 band pre-amp (clone, so voiced like the original 78 stingray), which works with a myriad of pick ups from Kent Armstrong (on the cheap spectrum of $50) to the mid range Seymour Duncan and Aguilar ($99 - $120) and up from there to EMG, Nrstrand and a host of others, both with their own specially voiced pre-amp to match, or they work with the 78 clone from companies like MojoTone and another UK company that I can’t think of the name right now, but if I remember, I will post it.
There is a stingray for everybody just like there is a body for every stingray, so try and find that perfect combo and stick with it.)

And Al (@Al1885 ). :cold_sweat: Whaaaaaaaaaa!!!

1 Like

Those were prior to 2018.
In 2018, SBMM dropped the ray34 long for the traditional Stingray.
They also added Stingray to the Ray 24ca an Ray4,
BUT
They both say S.U.B. Series in small letters under the Music Man Logo

AS far as Passive.
Tim Commoford Signature Stingrays (4 models, limited to 50 pc each), and one short scale and one passive scale.
Most notable, all 4 had finger ramps on them

1 Like

The Ray34CA is the import replica of the stingray special SLO. Slab body, no carve and 1.5’ nut width electronics are very close as well, it would be the equivalent comparison of ray34 and ebmm stingray tone.

I can say without any doubt that the Ray34 especially the past couple of years feel and sound just like ebmm of 5-6 years ago. The the newer ebmm is lighter. Aside from getting an instrument made in USA there’s not much difference, unless of course you choose the special edition or BFR, those as I expressed earlier are in the different league. So if you have any plans to get an ebmm get the special color, there’s nothing wrong with plain colors but if you are into that sbmm is a more sensible choice.

1 Like

big thank you all for the help here - very useful info!

i just noticed that guitar center has new trans black ray4 on sale for only $250 - i may grab that one just to noodle around with & maybe get into learning how to mod before i jump to something more serious. almost on summer break so why not lean into MBD. also i have been watching too much of lobster’s YT channel.

2 Likes

Modding is horribly easy @mgoldst, especially for someone like you who knows how to work with your hands and tools. Soldering is the “hardest part” and that’s easy too. If you are not familiar with soldering, swing by Home Depot and grab an iron and solder (60/40 leaded), order a few el cheapo pots on Amazon, settle in with YouTube and go to town. Don’t skimp on iron power, you’ll need it for back of pot connections.

2 Likes

agreed - looks pretty straightforward and like fun. also just ordered the ray4. :metal:

3 Likes

I picked up a Ray4 I modded to use as a “testbed” for electronics and pickups. Learned a whole lot from doing it.
I actually love the neck in the thing.

4 Likes

Man, that seems like exactly what I‘ve wanted do! Been jonesing for a test bed for Sims pups!

Excuse me, as I repair to the chair to read up on the origin story of your FrankenSims Ray4.

3 Likes

Totally worth getting hands on. You wont find better crafted bass for that money.

Here are my two fellas.

4 Likes

Congrats!! You won’t find a lack of love for them around here. I’ve made no secret about my love of the one @T_dub built me.

4 Likes

Love that color and dark hardware!

1 Like

I’d definitely want one.

I just purchased the Ibanez SR600E, but I’m looking out for a used Ray34 for a good price in the near future, or as soon as I can afford another gift to myself, lol. One with a passive active switch would be pretty cool.

1 Like