Dipping my toe into pedals

I saw this come up recently and wondered if anything else would be needed?

Seems like it has everything!

4 Likes

well nothing is needed, so yeah that would do it. (edit: ok, that’s not really true. it would be hard to pull off a shoegaze thing without pedals for one instance). the main thing is this multi-efx unit places the emphasis on analog control, so lots of buttons and knobs. other ones are more digital control so lots of menus and scrolling. matter of preference thing. the big plus is this one gives you authentic boss effects, which are the most iconic effects ever.

3 Likes

I mean it has compression, tuner, pedal for wah and octaver.

All in one place. Sort of waiting to see what the catch is lol

2 Likes

no catch. there’s a bunch of multieffects pedals out there, that have sometimes hundreds of effects, amp models and cabinet models built in. most of us here started with zoom pedals, simply because of the price/value proposition of them. but the boss is super nice if it’s in your price range.

https://zoomcorp.com/en/us/multi-effects/

haven’t looked at their site in a while. noticed that comparing the bass B6 (it’s in the middle of the page) to the guitar G6, the bass one is almost double the price of the guitar one :frowning:

2 Likes

I really like the analog controls on that multi-effect system! BTW did a review recently - if I didn’t already have a multi-effect, I’d be super interested in this one:

6 Likes

Caught that the other day.

Looks amazing. Even the product video on the BOSS site looks and sounds great!

2 Likes

It’s a kickA$$ pedal. Absolutely amazing.

You’ll use 3 out of the 1200 tones the pedals has to offer and can generously use about 7 of the 1200 tones available.

I can barely make my guitar sounds like guitar and I have the Roland GR-55.

So no I don’t think you want one, but you need 2, one in the living room and another in the kitchen. What buy one when you can get two twice the price, :laughing:

3 Likes

I bought one of these, second hand, a couple of weeks ago…

This thing ROCKS! I am just back from band practice. I set up three patches for different sounding songs, one clean, one dirty and one with shed-loads of chorus and delay etc. It worked perfectly. Our guitarist has a £1,500 NEURAL DSP QUAD CORTEX. Clearly, the Ampero One isn’t in that league, but equally, it doesn’t embarrass itself!

3 Likes

Ther BTW guy is really great! East German by the way, which are the funniest Germans ever!

Also, BTW has the best bass face players. Never cared much for a bass face, but their videos make me want to have one too (AND a beard!).

2 Likes

Frank is the man.

2 Likes

:joy: :joy: :joy:

1 Like

Gregor is indeed awesome and he has great taste in friends and guest stars. Ida Nielsen is on his channel all the time.

4 Likes

not that he’s a gigantic a-hole or anything, but the guy (gregor) is surprisingly a little prickly outside of the show, when responding in the comments. just a little weird to me as he comes off as being quite different.

3 Likes

The catch is -

It has so much stuff in it, it requires a bit more time and effort to put together the effects that you want vs having a single-effect pedal that you know you like.
For getting into pedal units and effects in general, I think it’s great and I’m sure you’ll love it.

For all pedal effects - if you’re doing it for fun and for sound options at home, it will work 100%.
Pedals that also work live can be tricky, and I’ve had (and have seen other players have) trouble bringing their at-home effects out onto a live stage.

If you’re interested in playing around with a kick-ass piece of gear at home that can make tons of sounds and you can spend a bit of time to search, experiment and set it up, there is no catch.

7 Likes

Yeah absolutly.

I fear some of those “all in one” units are really made for in-house use (and actually can sound great in this case). And when you start to use them playing live or recording, it becomes a bit more tricky. Something about dynamics, most probably.

1 Like

I was looking at this the other day as our guitar player just got the guitar one and is gushing over it.
The thing is a beast with lots of features and a cost to match.
My take home was that there is more there than I am likely to use but for an enthusiast/professional I am sure it will do the job.
I do have a ZoomB1Four and use it all the time including mixing and matching and playing with pedals.
I am also building up a small collection of cheap pedals (Irin, Mooer level) to try them out separate from the Zoom.

1 Like

The only way you can “learn” how to use everything on this and many other multi effects is to be stuck on an island with a bass an amp and one of these, with electricity of course. By then end of 3 years you’d probably know how to use almost every functions. :laughing:

You know it, they know it, that’s why more than half of the effects presets are junk.

1 Like

If you are going to dive into pedals then I think this unit is a no brainer. There’s tons of value in it. I don’t think anyone mentioned the DI which would let you run this as a pre amp for gigs too.

I’ve been rocking the Boss ME-50B since 2008, and waiting for another bomber unit. Sometimes on and off a pedalboard with other effects. At home, live, and in the studio. It will take some time to get your sounds dialed, and then you will always make other tweaks too… just like your cab sounds different in different rooms.

Also, I think there’s a dark glass clone/emulation on this one.

This is probably one of my next purchases. I’ve been eyeballing it on reverb.

Let us know how it goes.

2 Likes