Distortion!

I dug my old Boss DS1 guitar peddle out, and hooked it up to my bass. Wow. Woke my wife up from a nap, haven’t seen the dog for a few hours, and got a noise complaint from the neighbors!

Kidding, but all seriousness, gave a nice heavy, dirty tone. , I see myself having some fun with this. Channel my inner Cliff Burton!

3 Likes

The big muff is a good pick if you wanna sound like Cliff Burton!

The DS1 will probably roll off some of your lows since it is intended for guitar. But it’s a fun and amazing starting pedal for distortion.

2 Likes

Eventually I will likely look into some bass designed pedals, but for just experimenting and screwing around, this sounded very good. I’d been told it would work, just didn’t know how well. With no basis of comparison anyway.

2 Likes

I have the basic version of this (this is the Jack White version).
Not just for bass, but insane on bass…

3 Likes

Yeah it’s great, lot of ppl mod them too for bass. Here is a nice comparison (starts at 2:30)

Stupid stupid question but does using a guitar pedal for bass damage it in any way?

I’m by no means an expert, but I don’t think so. You’ll lose some of the lows as mentioned above. But I can’t see it being a risk to equipment itself. Not like running a bass through a guitar amp. As I understand it that can potentially be messy.

1 Like

Thanks @DocJas

1 Like

I notice they cleverly used images of Nicola Tesla’s Wardenclyffe Tower for wireless power in the design on that Plasma Coil pedal. Kewl, I guess! :exploding_head:

3 Likes

Nah, results may vary depending on how it’s built tone wise but I’ve yet to run into one that doesn’t actually work. Low end might not be great on some but that’s it.

2 Likes

You’re not going to damage a pedal unless you run an amp speaker out into it. And some pedals might not even die then.

I’ve run line level synths and drum machines into pedals before, not that I am recommending this for all pedals (impedance might be a bigger deal with this one than level for some pedals; even so, you’re not going to damage it). Don’t worry about a bass.

2 Likes

Thank you gentlemen.
I only asked because I picked up a pair of cheapo pedals a while ago from our local cheap supermarket for a steal but they were guitar pedals so I stuffed them in a draw and forgot about them until now

2 Likes

Give them a shot! Always worth trying.

2 Likes

Absolutely give them a shot. Bass pedals can be pricy so this will do for now.

I’ve been eying the MXR Bass distortion pedal. Listened to some sound demos and sounds pretty sweet.

3 Likes

A little late to the discussion, but most guitar specific pedals don’t have the low frequency response as a dedicated bass pedal. You might like it, or maybe not so much… I’ve tried a few different guitar and bass fuzz and distortion pedals, but my current favorite is the Aguilar Agro. Technically an overdrive, but capable of a wide range of sounds.

1 Like