DIY Ubass kit

MGB Guitars & Parts Suppler will soon be releasing a CBG (Cigar Box Guitar) Ubass kit and they’ve asked me to help with testing. Yay!

The kit will consist of a 21" scale bolt on neck, tuners, nut, bridge, piezo saddle, preamp and strings… everything but the box… but they have boxes available too if you don’t want to hunt one down on your own (which is hard to do in some countries).

I’ll be using a tequila box for my build. :slightly_smiling_face:

With the USPS experiencing catastrophic delays at the moment it might take a while for my kit to arrive… but stay tuned for build progress pics in the near future.

13 Likes

So I got my ubass kit and made bit of progress today between running errands for my wife and letting the dogs out (what seems like) every five minutes.

Got the tuners installed on the neck and the neck installed on the box. Decided to use the side without the graphics as the top, though it was down to a coin flip because both sides look cool, one because of the graphics and the other because of the burl-like patterns.

I reinforced the box with 1x3 poplar, which is overkill for the low tension poly strings that come with the kit, but better to overbuild now and have the option to switch to metal strings later.

Bridge, preamp and strings tomorrow.

4 Likes

Awesome! I’ve got tons of cigar boxes, how do I sign up to be a tester? (Not a smoker, there just good for storing trinkets and my grandfather had a lot.)

2 Likes

To be a tester you just have to buy tons of guitar parts from MGB and constantly bug Mike Breedlove with suggestions about what products he needs to make available to cigar box guitar builders. It only took me two years… best of luck Glitch! :smiley:

If you’re interested in getting into building CBGs, here are a couple of great FB groups to check out…

Cigar Box Guitar Builders, Owners and Players

Fretless Cigar Box Guitars - Builders & Players Group

2 Likes

haha! Btw I love your profile pic

1 Like

Well, I had a few more free minutes before bed so I got out the alcohol markers and made the bridge match headstock. It was originally the grey-brown color you can see in the saddle slot.

3 Likes

Nice! I can’t wait to hear how it sounds.

1 Like

Did… did you just freehand the Pigasus???

You multitalented types amaze me. Where does all the spare brain come from?

2 Likes

No sir, I’m too lazy for that. I had a rubber stamp made. :smiley:

3 Likes

Still :slight_smile:

I hate to ask but is the nut on backwards? I guess not by the slot widths, maybe it’s just the angle, but it looks like it is sloping in the opposite direction I would expect.

2 Likes

It’s a shadow cast by the shop light causing an optical illusion.

3 Likes

Ok, got’er done…

12 Likes

What a beauty!

2 Likes

Thanks @gcancella!

1 Like

Oh, yeah!

Wait… you are talking about the bass, right!? :wink:

3 Likes

I’ll let you believe whatever you want to believe :pig2::dash:

3 Likes

Those pics are so good!! Who’s the hot dude in the last one? I hope I’m not embarrassing myself by not knowing… I think he’s like a famous actor or movie star or something…

2 Likes

I used to do some photography myself, let me go dig up some.

1 Like

Sexy dude? I had to scroll up and make sure I didn’t post the wrong photo. lol

Nope, I posted the right one, that portly old dude is me. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Kits are now available if anybody is interested in a fun project…

5 Likes