Do guitar pedals remove bass without being turned on?

My sibling has a guitar distortion pedal that I figured I would use because she hates it. I I have it plugged in and connected to power, is it removing bass without being turned on?

edit: I realize this is kind of a dumb question but I have gone without asking for some things and it didn’t go well :smile:

2 Likes

You can test it. Does the signal pass through when the pedal is unplugged from power? Then it is a mechanical bypass and not electrical, so it should not change the bass’ tone at all when off.

This was a pleasant discovery in my $35 CoolMusic Insane distortion pedal that I did not expect at all XD

Caveat: This is the extent of my knowledge on pedal switches, ymmv, etc.

2 Likes

A lot of guitar pedals are actually absolutely fine for bass and there won’t be any problem at all. There are some which will be an issue, but they are a minority and even those aren’t as much of a problem as made out to be.

Very few of them should affect your tone while bypassed. Whether or not they are true bypass.

As usual the general answer for “will this sound good?” is “ignore the internet, try it, and see” :slight_smile:

6 Likes

If someone on the internet tells you to ignore the internet… :exploding_head:

4 Likes

INCEPTION HORN

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1khghXRGb6k

3 Likes

Strangely, I tend to dissociate the forum from the rest of the internet.

5 Likes

Me too actually - but all the same, only one person can answer if something sounds good to you :rofl:

4 Likes

Wait, we are on the internet?
You mean this isn’t real life?
No wonder it doesn’t smell like anything.
Damn.

3 Likes

I kinda thought we were in a really big bar where you are welcome to bring all your instruments, with outdoor seating, multiple shows happening daily, practice rooms, decent food, and no last call.

It’s probably a good thing .

Oh, it’s real alright! (in my head, at least)

6 Likes

This is an excellent business model, I’m in 1000% percent.

4 Likes

Fossgreen’s

6 Likes

@John_E first planning meeting at this month’s live hang, I guess? Bring your proposals, double-spaced.

3 Likes

Fossgreen’s Banana

3 Likes

lol, I was naming this mythical place XD

2 Likes

me too.

1 Like

Yes, I understood that for both of you (possibly overlooking part of @John_E 's suggestion :joy: :rofl:). So maybe Fossgreen’s is the name for the entire place, but one of the multiple bar rooms is called Bananas and it’s a smoothie bar (although something about that makes me a little uncomfortable :crazy_face: :rofl:)

I think there will also be a recording studio of mythic proportions, but no one is able to find it. Kinda like the Room of Requirement.

4 Likes

There’s “normal people” and then there’s people on the internet. The opinion of most people on the internet is usually not representative of “normal people” :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

1 Like

Never met one…would be afraid to.

2 Likes

I think that’s why “normal people” is in quote marks. Their existence is unconfirmed.

1 Like

They live with the unicorns.
And the pleasant people that work at the DMV.

2 Likes