Does anyone use an acoustic bass for practicing?

Might put it on mt Christmas list

1 Like

It’s pretty incredible for the money really.
I had no idea such stuff was available.

1 Like

I like the fact it has drum machine
As a beginner it would be really helpful for keeping time etc
I have always wanted to play around with a looper as well

1 Like

Yeah it’s packed with all you need for your purposes really.

Right I gotta go up Aldi.

2 Likes

We have a whole topic on these, go see “Zoom effects processors.” tl;dr, the B1on is a huge bang for the buck.

4 Likes

Yes, as @howard said, he created a whole thread just for these Zoom pedals (see link):

I actually just bought one last week, the B1 Four, this thing kicks ass, I’m still just figuring it out. I tried to find it used, but no luck at a good price, so just went on Amazon and paid retail, about USD $80. Now I need to go back through that thread for all the great suggestions! I got it because of the suggestions on that thread, and the good experience others seem to have had with it.

2 Likes

They really are great.

3 Likes

I have an acoustic Bass and haven’t had any problem with using it in the course. I wanted an instrument that I can keep by my chair and just grab and play. Also, I wanted something I can take anywhere. It doesn’t do the same job as an electric Bass but it serves its purpose very well.

7 Likes

I’d like an acoustic bass but I wonder if the body is big enough to amplify the lowest frequencies ? (think low D :grin: )

2 Likes

I think I had this linked before: we got you covered, @terb :joy:

3 Likes

:rofl:

2 Likes

From what I understand terb, they are not very loud…
That’s probably why when you see bands doing ‘unplugged’ sessions, the bass is always a solid body electric.

3 Likes

yeah, so an acoustic seems a little bit hard to use in real life. it could be cool for practicing or playing alone but otherwise, I’m not sure !

2 Likes

Acoustics typically have piezo pickups added for just this reason. And then there’s the Behringer ADI-21 :slight_smile:

3 Likes

yeah but if there’s some electricity involved, it’s less interesting compared to a solid body bass :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I totally agree :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I’ve used the Taylor GS Mini-e Bass for acoustic rehearsals. It’s the most convenient and best sounding acoustic bass I’ve played, and I’ve played plenty.
I think that the idea of a small, acoustic bass is perfected in the U-bass. It can go anywhere, and it also sounds decent. Much more quiet though.

If you want to know why they never sound great or project, or have a deep, bassy sound - look at the size of an upright bass. That’s how big the instrument needs to be to project low notes acoustically.
Any smaller and you just lose volume and tone.

Me thinks.

5 Likes

I play a Dean EAB. It’s got a big body and 24 frets.

@Gio Can confirm. It can’t compete with an acoustic guitar unless you start beating the crap out of it. Maybe if you can get the guitar player to play quietly but that’s not very reliable.

@terb I think the drop D sounds really cool on my Bass!

@howard I don’t get piezo pickups. They don’t pick up the acoustics of the acoustic Bass and the don’t make it sound like an electric Bass and whatever the in between sound is that it creates just sounds ‘not good’ to my ears.

1 Like

yeah I worry about the body size. anyway those acoustic basses are cool but they seem to me more for solo practice (or really low-volume jams) than for real band playing. of course there must me some exceptions.

anyway those things are cool, I’ll go test a Taylor GS Mini-e Bass and a Dean EAB if I can !

3 Likes

I am willing to bet the feedback is ridiculous too.

3 Likes