Does the Root-3-5-6-Octave-6-5-3 riff have a name?

I frequently see the R-3-5-6-Octave-6-5-3 two-bar ascending/descending riff in old 12-bar blues (those numbers are intervals if it isn’t clear).

I am curious as to whether this has a name, mostly to communicate with my buddies. “Yeah, Johnny B. Good is a 12-bar blues in the key of Bb. It plays the _____ riff for the I, IV, and V.”

I also frequently see the riff R-3-5-6-b7-6-5-3 (i.e., which ascends to the b7 rather than the octave). I’ve seen that referred to as boogie woogie. Is that correct?

Another example where it would help communication, the song Caldonia by Louis Jordan plays the I (C) using the riff that goes to the octave and the IV (F) using the riff that goes to the b7 (at least, that’s how I learned it). If other people would understand me, I’d like to be able to say that with fewer words.

Thanks!

2 Likes

No idea if there is a jazz or other term for this but I would just call this a Major add 6 arpeggio

1 Like

I don’t have a name for this either.
It’s just a classic major pentatonic pattern.
It’s all over older country music too.

2 Likes

It’s foundational in Rockabilly, too.

2 Likes

Yeah, that’s often how I refer to it, but it skips the 2 in the major pentatonic scale.

1 Like

FWIW, Ryan Madora (a great online bass resource) refers to the version that walks to the b7 as “the default walking shuffle pattern” in a YouTube video where she explains a different blues shuffle pattern (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mo4Y0cEtSns).