Does Tone Wood Matter on Electric Instruments?

That’s mostly what I was getting at with saying the pickups couldn’t be more different lol. I should have explained their differences along with stating their construction. The GT also has a 2 band bass/treble EQ, while the Stiletto has a 3 band with mids (curious about the frequency ranges for each. It says EMG EQ but I’ve been in the Stiletto’s cavity and it looks nothing like what’s on their website).

Also, it’s a “reverse P” like Yamaha or Spector (treble side is closer to the neck), and not a Fender P (closer to the bridge)

2 Likes

The EQ could be something EMG makes for manufacturers. Could even be the same electronics in a different form. EMG eqs come attached to pots, and let me tell you it can be a challenge fitting them in a cavity. I put the same EQ on the GT into my used Stream 204, and it barely fit.

2 Likes

yeah, I figure it’s some OEM sort of thing. Which might mean Schecter would rather keep quiet on what frequency each band uses. Though I could probably math it out if I cared enough (I don’t XD I turn one knob and bass goes bbbbRRRRRAAAAAAH and treble does trebly things, that’s good enough for me)

But I digress. Mahogany! Aspen! Recycled Jack Daniels and Jim Beam barrels! Smooth oak tone!

2 Likes

If it is EMG it probably has a dip switch on the circuit board where you can choose the midrange frequency…

2 Likes

Great post @John_E

1 Like

Those in marketing and retailers wanting to sell basses/guitars and other “tonewood” related accessories seem to believe so.
It probably does have an influence, but is imperceptible to most people under most circumstances and is therefore almost irrelevant.

It has an influence with acoustic instruments, but that’s not the question here. It would be quite difficult to test though, and needs to be done scientifically because people will hear what they want to hear based on biases and mood.

4 Likes

Related article about Fender from last year 2020, ceasing the use (mostly) of ash due to scarcity:

2 Likes

The plot thickens…

And this, where I found the first video:

1 Like
1 Like

Your first video is the video in the very first post of the thread thread :smile:

1 Like

who can remember back that far :joy: I actually looked through all of the reply posts and didn’t notice it was on the first one lol

1 Like

To be fair, it was posted in tags that left it just a title, so it wasn’t as visible as posting a YouTube link directly (and it gives context for your second video)

2 Likes

So. Three basses, all three with different makeup, wood, pickups, preamps…

Or, am I trolling/testing/lying, and #2 and #3 are the same instrument? :thinking:

2 Likes

2 and 3 sound the same and 1 has a lot of fret buzz (more than I like for my setup). My hearing is rubbish, so what would I know?

3 Likes

I will say this is not the most scientific test at all, of course, but I will add:

1)All recording was done directly into my Scarlett 18i20 3rd gen
2)Using the same cable (lol…)
3)Bitwig Studio 4.1.2
4)Gallien Krueger 800RB plugin set the same each time

1 Like

Agree, they seem very muted and muffled vs. 1, maybe I liked 1 cause it stood out.

1 Like

#1 is obviously different, I won’t be smarmy about it like I said in the practice thread lol. It’s my C-5 GT. It came set up very low and it picks up the clack off the frets very easily. It has very different pickups as well.

1 Like

I’m glad it wasn’t just me that thought 2 and 3 sounded the same @Barney @John_E

2 Likes

Man, 2 and 3 are really, really close. I would not be surprised to learn you’re trolling us and those were copy/pasted from the same bass with a little different EQ :slight_smile:

2 sounds like it might be slightly punchier and brighter than 3, but that could also be style.

1 Like

This. 100x this.

2 Likes