Double Thumbing

I’ve nailed the downstroke of double thumbing, but the upstrole is what gets me. Is it more of a strum, or like popping the string? And where on my thumb to I hit the string? A video told me the edge of my nail, but my thumb hurts and I don’t quite understand.

3 Likes

Tagging @JoshFossgreen and @Gio for this one. I don’t know of anyone else on the forum that can play double thumb.

2 Likes

Thanks

2 Likes

I do it as a strum but yeah let’s hear from the experts :slight_smile:

I seem to do a lot better at double-thumb than normal slap, which is odd because it is harder to do. I need to practice slap more, I’m not very good at it.

3 Likes

Sorry for being very green but what is double thumbing? :flushed:

2 Likes

It’s a slap style where instead of bouncing your thumb off the string, you strike it in a downward motion (sort of coming to rest on the next string), and then you can immediately strum back up with it, kind of like tremolo picking with your thumb.

Juna Serita uses it here:

3 Likes

Every time you’ve posted that video I watch it and every time I’m impressed. She has such a great bass sound.

2 Likes

Yeah she’s really good. They all are. I actually kind of want that Nord Lead - nice synth :slight_smile:

Plus, Shamisen! That just rules.

2 Likes

Thank you @howard :+1:

3 Likes

DOUBLE THUMBING IS MY NEMESIS!

Ha. I’ve never had a great double-thumb trick.
It is demonstrated and explained pretty well here.
I’ve got tricks I can do with it, but it’s not one of the main tools in my tool box.

3 Likes

I think it only feels easier to me because I am so damn bad at normal slap :slight_smile:

Looks like Josh has a few double thumb lessons on his other channel.

2 Likes

Hey @Marcus.W! I have a bunch of older videos on this that might be helpful:

A reaaaally old one from my first year of Youtubing:

And some more here: https://www.youtube.com/c/joshfossgreen/search?query=double%20thump

Sounds like she’s going for the Marcus Miller copycat sound, it’s a great tone! And her pickguard is extremely cool, which probably affects the tone a lot. :stuck_out_tongue:

They’re covering Marcus’s arrangement (which is a Tower of Power cover), BTW:

4 Likes

Her pickguard looks like an Alperious custom pickguard. A friend of mine had one on his Rickenbacher.

2 Likes

Sorry I’m dumb - can a pickguard really affect the tone, or was that sarcasm as in stripes make cars go faster?

2 Likes

This seems like a natural to throw on the pile for your intermediate course :slight_smile:

2 Likes

No tone effect. It’s a stripes make bass go fast joke.

3 Likes

yes :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Check youtube for Victor Wooten’s Bass Technique video and his Classical Thump

1 Like

Mainly, and this answer sucks…it’s practice. I practiced it for years before it just clicked. That said, I guess the best way to describe it is your thumb kind of becomes a pick with the down-up striking. Slap a bit downward on the string, and bring it back up.

2 Likes