Dream Bass

vig it is. Dunno what came over me, Padron.

4 Likes

:laughing:

3 Likes

On the other hand when it comes to Trudeau, veg would be more appropriate :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I wouldn’t pick up a “dream bass” without playing it first. So like everyone here, I have too many basses. None are expensive, all are respectable… all in about 2.5k… and then on a complete whim I picked up a dinged up Squier p-bass for $100 with old flats and fell in love. Turns out despite two J’s (full and medium scale) a short scale EBMM, a full scale active Schecter and a fun little Mikro PJ… I’m a P-bass guy?! Who knew? Play it. You’ll know on the first song.
9dd669bafc4139e25133750d244a413f2264a9d8_2_375x500 (2)
I even like playing it with the ashtray in place - my brain sucks, let your fingers decide whats dreamy.

7 Likes

I have several of my dream basses, and once I get them I start thinking about my next one.
The EBMM HH was a dream bass, and it is fine, but I wouldn’t do cartwheels down the street about it.

The '72 Rick was a dream bass, and it is dreamy.

The German made Hofner was a dream bass, and it is dreamy.

The Fender CS '61 P (like Jamerson had) was a dream bass, and it is dreamy.

My next dreamy dream bass I think is a '75 Fender Jazz, but I don’t want it for a while yet. I have mad envy of @Macs bass grunge on it and all.

Also dreaming of an upright, but no room, will need to wait.

And next year I am sure there will be a different dream one.

Does one rise above all others in the dreaminess camp? The Rick for sure.

7 Likes

Please tell us which one would qualify for this display of physical prowess, and we’ll try to all chip in and get it for you :grin:

We might choose this street for your shenanigans though:

5 Likes

Been there. It’s the amazing Lombard Street in San Francisco. Non-resident traffic has been curtailed there as it was disrupting the daily lives of neighborhood residents.

2 Likes

Lombard street in SF?

2 Likes

SF residents never want to go there so if someone is there, yeah, it’s a tourist :slight_smile:

1 Like

I really have 3 dream basses.

FGN Mighty Power Double P. This bass just checks all the boxes. It’s Fender quality, and the twin precision pickups just bring it. I am turning into a Presision man, everything seems to be a P, P-J, or P-P.

My second dream bass is my MDB5. It has a unique vibe to the shape, and a neck profile found on no other instrument. Really I have a tough time practicing with it as I tend to wander off into improvisations with it.

My last dream bass is my Squier CV 60s. I will swap the pickup for an SPB1 to get a more vintage tone out of it, but it’s a $260 bass, perfect in its simplicity.

Honorable mention is my Stream. I still love so much about it; I turning it into a double reverse P. If it sounds as good as I think it will be back on the list.

1 Like

At 14 basses in my collection right now (including the unfinished Moolah Bass), I still have a few dream basses, just to add to the collection. I felt that way about the Steinberger. It was a dream bass when I saw Tony Lewis play it in The Outfield’s “My Paradise” video but it’s just ok for me. I still play it but not as often. The basses I really want to add are a Rick and a Stingray, just to say I have them.

Back in the day, I simultaneously owned a 1975 Jazz and a Rickenbacker 4001. I thought they were my dream basses. Both were really great in their own ways, but I sold and/or traded them for much-needed money or another instrument (read: Fender Rhodes, which I adored).

A few years later, I bought a Danelectro Longhorn short scale. Surprisingly great bass. Sounded killer and was easy as pie to play. Somehow, I sold it. Don’t remember where, how or even why. Misspent youth, and all that.

Today, I’ve got four carefully curated basses, with a new addition to the family on a FedEx truck right now(!).

So I’ve got one bona fide dream bass and one on the way. Good times.

UPDATE: Sandberg California II VS Passive has arrived. More to come.

3 Likes

VS I suspect!?!

1 Like

Yeah, sorry. Typing quickly while multi-tasking.

I’ve uploaded pics on the Show Us Your Basses thread.

1 Like