Dream Bass

Hiya Buzzers, Oi’ve gots a quest’n for yez. I want to know how many of you have actually bought what you considered your dream bass, and of those, how many wish they’d never met their heroes.

The reason I’m asking is that I’m now in a financial position to buy my dream bass. I dream small (it’s less than $2K CAD all in), but I’m still jittery. Choices, eh? Anyhoo, I’d love to hear about your experiences.

9 Likes

If you know what it is, and if you have the money, and can spend it without risking to need them again in the short term, then I would say, just go for it.

And most basses around 2K should also be readily re-sellable, should you eventually choose to do so (once you find another dream bass :grin:).

8 Likes

I did again and again they live up to the hype and then some.

12 Likes

Go for it!

4 Likes

I still have not bought my dream bass-I really want an Alembic Stanley Clark but would settle for a Wunkay or a 4 string BFR Bongo (when they make one again).

2 Likes

@Al1885, you sir have a lot of dreams! :joy:
Looks like one of your dreams came to visit me last Saturday. Waiting for UPS to hurry up!

7 Likes

No need. I know which one will be the alternate/companion. A 1980s Peavey Foundation.

4 Likes

Are you thinking maybe a used Carvin?

10 Likes

My dream bass was the Fender Duff PJ. Probably everyone here knows the rest of the story already.

6 Likes

No. Fender Steve Harris P. Very plebeian, I know.

3 Likes

Hey you’re talking to a P Bass fan boy. It looks like an excellent choice.
I just couldn’t bring myself to wear West Ham colours :wink:

3 Likes

Care to re tell the story?
I had one of those. Like a dummy I sold it.

2 Likes

I did it, wasn’t impressed with it and regretted it. I’ve found that the more I pay for something, the more I expect out of it. I’ve gotten the most enjoyment out of the things that are either cheap and play well or something I put together myself. Sometimes you have a certain tone in your head and only the dream bass can fill it

5 Likes

I know, that is the drawback… but to what depth won’t fanboys stoop :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

That said, if they offered it still in the blue sparkle or b&w checkerboardschemes of old, I’d be all over them. The blue ones are available used, but the current one is actually a more faithful replica of Steve’s (fanboy, see!).

3 Likes

Talkbass classifieds is a good place to buy a bass. Someone may have had your same dream. It can save you a ton of cash.

6 Likes

It would, if the Canuckistanian peso wasn’t worth the same as the Hershebian Dong :rage:

There’s one thats on there for $1100 USD, plus shipping and insurance from Commiefornia. That puts it at about $1600 CAD, which is the pretax price for it new here. And Justine would add his veg on top of the used bass too. So, it would be pretty much the aame :grimacing:

3 Likes

See here:

4 Likes

“Veg”?!

What, I look like a fuckin’ farmer to you?!

I said vig, you mook!

5 Likes

Oh man, that sucks. Mine was an older one. Didn’t experience any issues with the electronics.

3 Likes

Well my proper dream bass is the original 80’s white MIJ model that he used on Appetite for Destruction. If I ever come across one then I’m probably going to buy it, but it’s pretty rare, especially in good condition, and especially around these parts.

Fender have recently reissued them (Boxer or something) in some fugly red and green colors, but not in white…

3 Likes