Drum app that can do random drum fills?

I am struggling to keep time during drum fills… I find them very distracting. I am trying real hard to ignore everything and just keep doing my own thing, but I always end up gravitating towards what my ears are hearing. I guess my inner metronome is not loud enough.

Is there a drum app that can throw in random drum fills every couple of bars? Basically I need the opposite of the ultimate groove workout - instead of one bar of silence, I need one bar of random shit happening.

6 Likes

I think the “drummers” in GarageBand can do that (and therefore, presumably, also in LogicPro). They would normally do a fill at the end of a segment (e.g., every four or eight bars or so) but there is also a knob that lets you adjust the frequency and “craziness” of the fills (to a certain degree).

Might be a starting point for your practice (if you GB) :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

3 Likes

Oh wow this actually looks promising. Not quite random enough, but still pretty annoying and distracting, so I think it’s going to work. Thanks!

3 Likes

Is there a way to adjust the length of the fill, or is it always 1 bar? I can’t seem to find a way to make it 2 bars of time and 2 bars of fill.

3 Likes

Hm, I guess if you already have maxed out the Fill button, then the only other option I can think of is to make the sequence shorter and thus “force” the drummer to play a fill.

Initially, when you pull up a drummer, you get 8 bars, which you then can copy/paste and stitch together to get longer sections. But, you can size that 8 bar window to only include 1 or two bars and then max the Fill button… maybe that can work!? In the end, it is not a high precision editing tool, as the fills are computer generated and probably follow a somewhat fixed algorithm.

3 Likes

Yep that worked. I created a 2-bar region with no fill, and two 1-bar regions with max fill.

Also I’m happy to report that I completely lose track of the beat during the 2 bars of fill, so mission accomplished. :+1:

6 Likes

:joy: :rofl:

3 Likes

Many drum virtual instruments can do this in the DAW. Some come wit canned grooves and fills, others can generate them. It’s a common feature though.

The one I use the most (Steven Slate Drums 5) has canned grooves and fills.

3 Likes