Dumb xlr cable question

Even better!

1 Like

Yes.
Active bass could go in 1-8. Inputs 1-2 are switchable to hi or low Z. But yes, leaving it set up that way means hot plugging anything without going to the control panel.

The +4 line input level is a pro level, so it should handle the amp DI, but yes, I know what you mean. I have my keyboard line outs in 7 and 8 because it distorts the other ones unless the keyboard master is pretty low.

2 Likes

This will vary by bass. Some have preamps that still output at low levels to have unity gain when you flip the active/passive switch. Yamahas are this way, for example; you can experiment with running it in to an input in both normal and high-Z mode to see which you prefer.

You can also run passive basses in to line inputs but you will lose a lot of dynamic range and it will generally sound worse.

2 Likes

This is another good callout. Thereā€™s actually two levels of ā€œLineā€ level - consumer line level and pro line level.

3 Likes

Yeah, thereā€™s no standard for bass preamp output level. That can be all over the place. I think my amp has a 10 dB pad to nominally compensate for a hotter active bass. The active circuit doesnā€™t care about a hi-z input though.

2 Likes

Yeah thatā€™s the big difference; a pickup will require it but the output of a preamp (even at low levels) will be more or less agnostic about it.

1 Like

Cool, this means I acutally understood everything when I set it all up, lol!

3 Likes

That input 7-8 trick is buried in the middle of the manual. I went looking for it because you said thatā€™s what you did.

3 Likes

Iā€™m really glad this thread shaped up at this time. Because ima need to read the whole thing. All of this is very new to me.

3 Likes

Hereā€™s a very quick primer, with enough terms to get you googling more if desired:

https://www.sweetwater.com/sweetcare/articles/whats-the-difference-between-mic-instrument-line-and-speaker-level-signals/

1 Like

Outstanding! Thank you, sir.

2 Likes

Another question about line level and instrument level: Wouldnā€™t the gain control on the Focusrite be able to take care of getting line level down to instrument level? Just turn down the gain?

Unbalanced vs balanced: I stepped right into that trap when I attached studio monitors to my Focusrite. It was noisy as hell. After some recherche, I found out I should be using balanced cables for that :smiley:
Still can have a little bit of noise when I play a game on my computer. Stupid coil-whine!

1 Like

Thereā€™s no need for the TRS portion of the combo inputs (or the 1/4" Line/Inst input, depending on which you have), simply donā€™t switch it to Instrument (high impedance) mode and itā€™s a Line In.

Not always. Sometimes the input is so hot youā€™ve got it turned down to nothing.

1 Like

is this right? it says microphone cable, which is why i ask

2 Likes

Yes. XLR to 1/4" balanced TRS. Assuming the Focusrite inputs are balanced on the Line In jack, and assuming your amp has a male XLR connector.

1 Like

yeah, the solo is a balanced input

2 Likes

Has this become standard?
I know itā€™s a standard for long term installations. Iā€™m asking because of the other thread where there was the whole discussion about some companies taking wiring shortcuts that end up defeating the ground lift button.

1 Like

This is the part that I donā€™t understand: If I turn it down, itā€™s not hot anymore, is it?

1 Like

Iā€™ll try to answer since there arenā€™t a lot of people on right now.

A given circuit is designed for a specific input level and the gain will adjust over a range based on that input level. Mismatching the input level might provide results but those results are likely to be less than optimal.

Like using a flat head screwdriver in a cross head bolt or putting low octane gas in a vehicle optimized for high octane gas. Both of these might work but the results will not be as intended and can lead to other problems.

2 Likes