E-Bow: useful or useless for electric bass?

A veteran pro sound-guy mentioned to me that an E-Bow could work on a bass guitar. I can’t figure how one could overlay the gizmo over four thicker not six thinner strings. The Heet E-Bow looks very overpriced for a piece of plastic; there’s a Joyo Infinite Sustainer that’s about 2/3 of the price, but at that site, they warn: “Try to use any ebow kind of device on a bass guitar, acoustic guitar will produce limited results as the material and weight of the string increases.” An eponymous site offers a link to YT videos, showing one used on a bass, but I reckon this isn’t for amateurs. Surely somebody must have tinkered to craft one for a bass? Or is there some law of physics, acoustics, or commonsense that prevents such a novelty? Advice? Alternatives?

1 Like

Sorry, but it sounds like a rather weird concept to me.

I thought @JoshFossgreen reviewed one o’ them there things in one of his gadget videos?

2 Likes

Hmmm I’ve watched all his gadget videos (I think?), and don’t recall ever seeing that before.

2 Likes

The Heet thing looking at it has a pickup that works like a guitar pickup. So yeah, I can see why acoustic does not work well with it, and bass too. I imagine that you could wind a pickup for the Heet that would work with a bass, but a bass pickup and guitar pickup are different. I can see why results would be limited

2 Likes

Charles Berthoud did a neat video with an e-bow on fretless

and here’s one with Rich Brown https://youtu.be/8elGoeHeX5Q

Zander Zon also has a lot of great e-bow bass stuff on his Youtube page.

1 Like

@JoshFossgreen reviews one at 3:17 here:

2 Likes

As Josh says, It’s kind of a weird gadget.

1 Like

Thanks, @mgoldst + comrades. I knew somebody must have tried this out for a bass. Interesting that unlike the e-Bow, the Aeon appears to fit onto one string rather than over them all as on a guitar. I appreciate the nod, and to @JoshFossgreen for his inimitable flair in demo-ing oddities.

1 Like