Easy ska basslines?

Yesterday I finished M5L2 and I enjoyed a lot that slow ska rhythm. I tried some of the ska(-esque) songs of Rancid and are a bit too fast for me.

Can you point me to any easy ska basslines for beginners?

5 Likes

The problem with ska is that it’s usually quite fast… A slower one you could try is A Message to You Rudy by The Specials. Ghost Town (by the same band) is also quite slow (and a favorite of mine), but it’s not really a ska song.

By the way, if you’re playing along to YouTube videos, remember that you can slow them down (to 75% and 50% if I remember correctly). So if you want to learn those Rancid songs, just start slow and work your way up!

7 Likes

Have a go at some early ska - Toots and the Maytals 54-46 that’s my number or Pressure drop: the bassline is really simple and you can work up to the pace really easily.

3 Likes

Toots and the Maytals gets +1 from me!

The more 90s era ska stuff tends to have a lot of pep in its step - hard to find slow stuff - I like the @Mike_NL suggestion for slowing down too - Transcribe! (app for transcription assistance) does it as well.

3 Likes

I don’t know why I didn’t thought about A message to you, Rudy… Mentally my mind was with The Selectors, Madness, etc. Great sugesstions.

2 Likes

I didn’t know why I didn’t went for the older cousing, reggae. Gonna try 54-56 was my number tomorrow!

2 Likes

Desmond Dekker & the Aces may have some good tunes for you, where the bass doesn’t seem too fast. I like “Israelites,” & album of same name, with “It Mek,” “it is Not Easy,” “Intensified,” and more.
Ultimate guitar and Big Bass Tabs has a few.

4 Likes

After 54-46 was my number, Youtube jumped to Israelites and I thought the same :slight_smile: I’ll try the other ones too. Thanks!

3 Likes