EMG 35 J question

Hey everyone, I’m confused about this pickup. I’ve seen it described as humbucking but it is a single coil. Does anyone have any experience with this?

2 Likes

AFAIK if it is single coil it can’t be humbucking - that implies two coils wound in opposite directions.

2 Likes

Could be stacked, then it’s a Humbucker that looks like a single coil. Have you a link or picture? @doylecb
Jamie

1 Like

Thanks Jamie, here is the pick up in question.

1 Like
1 Like

Hmm. Specs don’t specify but just say it’s their original J. Which I would assume is single coil.

2 Likes

It’s so hard to understand. They described it as “quiet”and I’ve seen many people on various message boards say that EMGs are quiet. But I wanna know if quiet means less hum or none

3 Likes

I also keep reading that “all EMG’s are quiet” but can’t understand why the single coil J would not hum???

1 Like

The answer is it probably does :slight_smile:

The fact is, single coil pickups are prone to interference. They just are. It’s both their advantage and disadvantage - they are more sensitive and reactive than dual/split coil and give that growlier sound, but at the same time, are more sensitive to noise as well.

2 Likes

I’m happy to say the EMG J is totally silent and sounds Amazing! !

3 Likes