Every instrument can be a bass

So, I saw a singer use a kazoo to emulate a keyboard… and now I’m the proud owner of a 1.90 € kazoo which I bring if I can’t bring my bass.

Kazoo

How do you play around when you don’t have a bass? What’s your bass-adjacent instrument? Do you think bass players play everything like a bass? Have I had too much coffee?

Cheers,
Antonio :grin:

9 Likes

Now, I want some kazoos. Kazoo GAS for the win.

2 Likes

Keep in mind, tone-plastic matters :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

3 Likes

That’s right. Pros only use Bakelite. It’s vintage.

3 Likes

Erm… I play the didgeridoo. It’s a traditional native Australian wind instrument that is played in a rhythmic fashion.

Kinda like a kazoo, but much bigger, and without the buzzing aperture thing.

:slight_smile:

3 Likes

You would have been a Rave Hero in like '91

3 Likes

I was a renaissance fair hero instead. Raves were never my “thing”. :smiley:

2 Likes

you could have combined the two

2 Likes

How do you play around when you don’t have a bass?.. “I play my dog Griffin…”

What’s your bass-adjacent instrument?.. My dog Griffin… He’s always available and at my side…

Play it like a bass?.. Hell no!!.. Play him like a “Bongo Drum”!! He lay’s on my lap, I smack his shoulders and get a tight high tone, smack his rump and get a low tone… No finger pluckin’,… no muting…

Do you think bass players play everything like a bass?.. DAMN MAN!!.. You done asked that question already… So YES, you had too gahdamn much coffee!!!

Then again, here I am answering these silly questions so maybe I’ve had one too many BOURBONS!!! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Keep On Thumpin’!
Lanny

3 Likes

You could try a nice stroking pattern, @Lanny!

We had a garden party the other day where people first laughed at my Kazoo (I said it’s just fun and silly, so that was okay), but then they started taking it seriously! “No, you missed a bar there” :see_no_evil:

2 Likes

I’ve had a kazoo before, I was a menace of portable dodgy tunes.
Making me miss it :smiling_face_with_tear: I should get another.

2 Likes

Let’s found a Kazoo Choir :eyes:

2 Likes

Now that, is beautiful. Can use the bass and set a loop to elevate the kazoo to a whole new level.

2 Likes

My wife teaches at a school where they have recorders.
I am about to launch into teaching an 8th grade class some recorder music.
Annnnd…

Did you know there was a bass recorder??
Annnnnnndd…

Did you know this??

anyway, I’m stoked.

Gunna go do some bass recordering.

5 Likes

https://www.amazon.com/Professional-Membranes-Replaceable-Adjustable-Instrument/dp/B0B3T64PWV/ref=sr_1_8?crid=30U76GSIAAM1M&keywords=electric%2Bkazoo&qid=1693495638&sprefix=electric%2Bkazoo%2Caps%2C158&sr=8-8&th=1

i actually had one of these until recently it got accidently trashed. got to get another.

2 Likes

I am so sorry to hear this for you.
My condolences.

2 Likes

There is pretty much a bass (and contrabass!!!) version of every reed and cup instrument, and they are all fantastically cool. There is a facebook page dedicated to all things contrabass.

This guy is building the world’s first octo-contra bass clarinet.
From ‘deep’ low C to F3

2 Likes

Whoa. I wonder how much recorder I would remember.

Yes, ANYTHING can be a BASS!!.. Even a damn “Gut Bucket”…

IMG_6103

Constant Sorrow - The “Gut Bass” in action!!

Keep On Thumpin’!
Lanny

6 Likes

SUB-Contrabass trumpet!

1 Like