Expensive Mistakes

also have lost thousands of dollars of equipment over the years…I miss my Roland Juno G, along with my Behringer 350 Watt head with the 1 15 cab, and my peavey Fury…oh to have love and lost

5 Likes

Wow. Straight out of Breakfast Club!!

This… is the most heartbreaking kind of story. The ‘bad deal’ story always hits me in the gut. Brutal!!

3 Likes

Did someone throw a book out of a window in that movie? I have only watched parts of it.

2 Likes

Not specifically.
You just nailed the young-adult-defying-authority-and-exploding-in-display-of-resistence vibe of the whole thing.
I’m very impressed.

7 Likes

yea it made me sad…but hey, I learned later he got the bass stolen from him…so karmatic justice I guess

4 Likes

Man. The VT Bass DI is requiring a large amount of desoldering even to dismantle at all. It appears that the PCB is held in place not just by the nuts on the pots, but by being soldered to the jacks which are pre-inserted into the chassis on each side. And they used a lot (a lot) of solder to do this. Enough that desoldering one side generated enough flux fumes to alarm my wife.

Time to get some better ventilation going before continuing :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Well, they look really solid :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

Built like a tank. Now I’m paying for that :slight_smile:

4 Likes

@howard I’m real sorry to hear about what happened to the VT Bass DI. Here’s hoping you’re able to get it running again. Hopefully it’ll be something easily repaired.

3 Likes

Hah thanks, bonehead mistake, gotta pay :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I had put a brand new set of LaBella flats on the Ibanez fretless which I disposed of a few weeks ago. Beforehand I took the flats off and put them on a shelf with my other strings, and replaced them with the original round wounds that came with it.
Yesterday, I tried to put the LaBella flats on my Yamaha BB735, but the D string had been trimmed too short and I wasn’t able to.
Reason: the Ibanez had the B, E, and A strings on one side of the headstock, and the D and G strings on the other side. The Yammie has 4 on one side of the headstock, and 1 on the other. The peg for the D string is on the very top of the headstock, making it the furthest from the bridge; thus I had trimmed it too short.
I dread the thought of buying another $49.99 set of strings just for one string, so I emailed LaBella and asked if I could purchase only the D string. This morning they replied with a link to purchase the D string for $9.99 plus tax and shipping.
Lesson learned. Not an overly expensive lesson, but a lesson just the same: Be careful trimming strings, especially if you have basses with different headstock configurations.

2 Likes

I suppose my most expensive mistake was to sell three basses (Yamaha rbx350, rbx200f and a Good squire P bass), my marshall head and stack (8x10) and fender 75 tube combo for next to nothing in my late twenties because my girlfriend at the time was sick of them! Glad my wife (not the same person) supports my habit! In fact she gets very emotional when I get GAS and think about selling anything!

Edit: also sold was a two speaker pa system.

5 Likes

Most expensive mistake I have made so far. which is mostly physically expensive. Was trying to use a can of clear coat on my Peavey to cover up a minor crack that had formed in the original finish… which lead to trying to sand to match original coat. witch lead to removing to much and having to respray. witch lead to having to sand all to match… which lead to another coat. which lead to screw it I’m taking everything out of the body removing the neck and hitting it to try and get an even coat. which lead to ok I’m taking out my hand sander and sanding this thing down to as close to natural as possible. This lead to 4 coats of clear coat to redo the whole body. a total of 3 cans of Krylon clear coat later and its finally nice and smooth all over.

Although there is one small area of orange peel between the pots. I have decided to call it character at this point rather than redoing it again. Especially considering i also went with a new preamp and pots when putting it back together. Man what a week this has been.

4 Likes

Sadly no luck fixing the VT Bass DI. All of the obvious things that would have burnt up were fine as far as I could test; no obvious destroyed parts, and the ones I tested were fine. There were also a huge amount of tiny SMD parts and ICs I wasn’t able to meaningfully test (and would not have been able to replace; these were really small and beyond my soldering skills to really handle).

Oh well.

Definitely want a new one, it was awesome. However I will probably hold off because I am definitely keeping my EBS Valve Drive anyway.

4 Likes

Aw man. That’s too bad @howard.

2 Likes

Very therapeutic thread. Thanks for sharing, everyone! While I haven’t physically destroyed any gear yet, I have certainly wasted a good amount of money on recording equipment (software and hardware). Here’s how I spent around $500 for essentially nothing.

So, I have this ongoing love-hate relationship with Reaper. Last year around Christmas, we had a huge fight again and I went out looking for alternatives. A couple of hours and $300 later I was back home with Studion One 4. I had demoed it earlier that year and remembered we had a good time. What I should have remembered: it has a weird way of handling audio devices and did not like my old Saffire 6 USB interface at all (which lacked official Windows 10 support). I tried some experimental drivers which worked better with Studio One but caused random system crashes. So I bought a new audio interface - only to realize that I didn’t like Studio One that much after all.

Long story, short: I spent $500 and I’m back with Reaper - which was working just fine with my old interface. And to top it off, a few months later Presonus releases Studio One 5 and I was just out of the grace period for a free upgrade.

5 Likes

Ha, ouch!

You could always download one of the Studio One themes for Reaper and pretend it all worked out… :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Damn, all in one week!!! Ouch.

2 Likes

Sorry to hear that, total bummer

at least not all is lost.

2 Likes

FUUUUUUUUUUUU…

Nut broke while changing strings.

Looks like the .060 G string was too much for it and split a preexisting crack.

Welp off to look at replacing nuts :rofl:

I think I might actually put a Warwick Just-A-Nut on it if it fits. Might be too wide though.

6 Likes