Favorite bands with great bass?

Tim Feerick (RIP) from Dance Gavin Dance has some really great basslines especially from 2015 on.

Chi Cheng (RIP) from Deftones. Great basslines from him specifically Saturday Night Wrist where it was probably the most profound. But also when Sergio Vega joined his bass lines were really good and has done a few songs that I’d put in my top 5 of all time.

And Nolly Getgood from Periphery. Incredibly talented and you can’t hear it all the time because they tune low but when you can pick it out he makes some intricate riffs that I could only dream of playing but definitely an inspiration to get there one day.

2 Likes

Steve Harris for me, my era ! Up the Irons

7 Likes

Totally with you on Duran Duran…I’ll throw RUSH in there after seeing them like 13 times. And Geddy’s book “My Effin Life” is worth the read. Ida Nielsen is another one who is incredible on the bass.

4 Likes

I’d go with:
Berry Oakley - Allman Brothers
Geddy Lee - Rush
Chris Squire - Yes
Leon Russell Wilkerson - Lynyrd Skynyrd
John Paul Jones - Led Zeppelin
Paul McCartney - Beatles

4 Likes

Steve Harris is the godfather of bass! Definitely in my top three

4 Likes

I got Peter Hook above, but for a list across many genres:

Peter Hook - Joy Division/New Order
Simon Gallup - The Cure
Will Heggie - early Cocteau Twins
Kim Deal - Pixies
Greg Norton - Hüsker Dü
Chris Wolstenholme - Muse
David J - Bauhaus
Steve Severin - Siouxsie and the Banshees
Miki Furukawa - Supercar
Michiko “F-Chopper” Koga - Gacharic Spin
Kristian Karlsson - pg lost, also plays keys in Cult of Luna
Bootsy Collins - George Clinton’s many projects, James Brown, Dee-Lite, etc

4 Likes

I love Peter Hook, I’ll be seeing him this year doing Substance. I’ll also throw Carlos Dengler of Interpol and Simon Gallup of the Cure.

2 Likes

Love what Hooky is doing now, also love how he’s doing it as a father/son thing with Jack

1 Like

Steve Hanley from The Fall is a favorite
Love Bruce Thomas from The Attractions
Nick Lowe is a songwriter but also excellent bass player
I’ll stop at four except for
JJ Burnel from The Stranglers

1 Like

Jeroen Paul Thesseling is an AMAZING metal bass player, that also has a jazz fusion band called salazh trio

I’ve been listening to the band Golden Mean and I just love the sound of the bass in their songs.

1 Like

Most of the post-punk bassists (Hook, Gallup, David J) who inspired me have been mentioned, but I’ll throw in Kim Gordon, Simon Raymonde, and Jah Wobble.

1 Like

Yeah! And Will Heggie too for sure, the Cocteaus did great for bassists.

1 Like

I’m going to state the obvious, Steve Harris.

Colin Edwin of Porcupine Tree fame. Dude plays some awesome basslines and always looks so… just… happy to be playing.

2 Likes

Saw Porcupine Tree play at the Orange Peel. It was the only time I’ve seen them and it was just pure awesome. I stood like 5 feet from Colin and the man just had his eyes closed most of the concert and just smiled as he played. Fantastic band to listen and watch.

2 Likes

Les Claypool of Primus! Chas Chandler of The Animals! Donald Duck Dun of Booker T and the Mag’s! John Entwhistle of the who! Stanley Clark, Marcus Miller, Victor Wooten of SMV! Three of the best craziest bassist. Live on stage together.

2 Likes

I forgot got about Geezer Butler. The bassist who made Earth AKA Black Sabbath what are today.