Favorite Bassist?

Ooh fun. For me I would say currently:

Top three (in order):

1. Peter Hook (you’ll like a cover I am working on :slight_smile: )
  2. Simon Gallup (The Cure)
  3. Simon Raymonde (Cocteau Twins)

Other favorites (not in order):

• Kiyoshi (solo work)
  • Kim Deal (Pixies)
  • Steve Rippon (Lush)
  • Greg Norton (Husker Du)
  • Dave Allen (Gang of Four)
  • Miki Furukawa (Supercar)
  • Chris Wolstenholme (Muse)
  • Geddy Lee (Rush)
  • Stephen Severin (Siouxsie and the Banshees)
  • Patricia Morrison (Sisters of Mercy)
  • Paul Barker (Ministry)
  • F-Chopper Koga (Gacharic Spin)
  • Fumi (Polysics)
9 Likes

I have a bunch of bassists that I enjoy
I can’t pick just one, so here’s my list:

• Jaco Pastorius
  • Victor Wooten
  • Joe Dart
  • James Jamerson
  • Chris Wolstenholme
  • John Myung
8 Likes

Tim Commerford
Duff McKagan
Cliff Burton

9 Likes

As mentioned before
Lemmy Kilmister
Geezer Butler
Geddy Lee
Robert DeLeo
Steve Harris
Eugene Costyuk
Cass Lewis

To name a few. There are so many very talented bassists in all genres of music and not just th famous ones either.
A big shout out should be given to the session musicians who never see the limelight but are as equally important as the famous artists.

6 Likes

I debated listing Myung too but I’m just not enough of a Dream Theater fan. He’s amazing though (as is the rest of the band. Rudess gets counted twice because of his beard too :slight_smile:)

One I missed was David J from Bauhaus.

6 Likes

hahaha
There are a lot of talented bassists out there!

6 Likes

Steve Harris
Lemmy
John Deacon
Geezer Butler
Frankie Poullain
David Ellefson

9 Likes

I’ve not seen anyone mention Pino Palladino… what an oversight!!! Pino palladino 's 'Wherever I lay my hat' bass line (HD) - YouTube

5 Likes

Bob Babbitt and Duck Dunn
But most of the guys I know anything about bass wise I started to follow because of the guitarist they played. Robin Trower and James Dewar, SRV and Tommy Shannon, Rev Billy G and Dusty Hill, Jeff Beck and Tim Bogert - Phil Chen - Tal Wilkenfeld, and if for no other reason than his contributions to blues genre…Willie Dixon

6 Likes

You actually have a very valid point there @Tokyo_Rat.
I’ve just realised that I almost always knew about the vocalist or lead guitarist before I knew anything about the bass player until I picked up my first bass.
I saw Cass Lewis with Gary Moore and followed Skunk Anannsie a few years before I knew his name ! Quite shameful really

7 Likes

I forgot to mention Kim Deal. Her bass on “Where Is My Mind?” is truly out of this world. Even though it is just root notes :yum: Great list though!

8 Likes

Robert Trujillo
Robert Trujillo Bass solo With Infectious Grooves.m4v - YouTube

8 Likes

He is awesome with Mettalica ,
Welcome aboard @Saeje
Enjoy the ride
Cheers Brian

7 Likes

Welcome to the community @Saeje!

7 Likes

Lee Sklar

Not fancy, but he’s played for a lot of my favorite artists

8 Likes

Welcome to the forum @Saeje

Yeah he’s not to shabby at all with Metallica

9 Likes

Ha Ha Ha, I don’t’ even think of Metallica when I think of Robert Trujillo, and he IS one of my favorite bass players (and Metallica is NOT one of my favorite bands, as a matter of fact, I DO NOT LIKE METALLICA)

Welcome to the forum @Saeje - I agree with you here, I love Robert Trujillo, but more for ST and Infectious Grooves and the more Punk / funk projects

7 Likes

for sure, JEFF BERLIN (god)

6 Likes

So many great bassists out there. It’s funny, Flea is one of the few bassists where I’m like “he’s so incredible” and would never want to meet him because he looks like a maniac while he plays. For my fav, I gotta go with Geddy Lee.

If we’re going with non mainstream dudes, I really like Commander Meouch from TWRP.

Or Youtube, there are so many amazing youtube bassists. Anna Sentina, Juliaplaysgroove, Davie, Charles Berthoud.

6 Likes

John Entwistle
Chris Squire
Geddy Lee
Dan K. Brown

And many others : )

7 Likes