Favorite Bassist?

Let’s not forget him playing with Infectious Grooves

https://youtu.be/1f7XwCsx4fs

4 Likes

I am learning to play because I love Robert Deleo from STP. Maybe tone wise not the most stand out guy but the bass lines he comes up with if you really listen to all the STP and Army of Anyone stuff is just truly amazing.

Huge Phish and Dead fan as well and can appreciate the improv that any of the jam bands have to do.

5 Likes

Yes agreed, Very …very nice bass in STP

3 Likes

Besides Stanley Clarke being one of my favorite musicians… he has just started a new project on You Tube - Stanley Clarkes’ Bass Nation. A platform to showcase performances, instruction, what makes a great bassists, gear…hang on for a great tour of Bass Nation. The first Episode came out November 16th - topic Be Prepared

5 Likes

Nice, got to listen to a few new names here. I’m a huge fan of Rory MacDonald from RunRig. Nicely subtle and melodic playing to my taste.

4 Likes

Chris Squire and Tony Levin

6 Likes

I believe these tabs are the most accurate you will ever find. He’s transcribed them by looking at a bunch of live clips and also by just listening to the studio track.

1 Like

You can also watch Hooky show a fan how to do it :slight_smile:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yOsL16fcBXs

He shows Ceremony’s riff here (and a bit of She’s Lost Control):

What a cool guy. The bass in the second one is made from the Hacienda’s original dancefloor :slight_smile:

7 Likes

I’m using a good few of his bass tabs and find them to be very accurate

3 Likes

Marcus Miller. Baddest dude out there!

6 Likes

Wyatt Shears from The Garden. He may not be the most technical bass player but his tone is incredible, he does vocals while playing, and he is part of a duo with his twin brother on drums, so his bass playing really has to take on the quality of a lead instrument. I think he succeeds in spades. (This video is poorly shot but it demonstrates his tone and vocals really well, and his brothers drumming is great too)

4 Likes

I love bass + phaser like that for tone. My favorite bassist uses chorus for a similar effect.

2 Likes

Yes! It sounds absolutely massive.

2 Likes

Lots of love for my bass hero.

One of them is his son (and his band’s current bassist), which is just charming.

3 Likes

Lee Sklar is amazing. He is a master of hitting the right note, and only the right note, at the right time.
A couple of my favorite bassists (and I’m showing my age here) are Mike Mills from REM, a gorgeous example of melodic bass playing, and, on the opposite end of the spectrum, Jerry Casale from DEVO.
Mike Mills is like a 2nd lead guitar. Great, flowing lines that support the vocal, don’t compete with the guitar, but carry their own melodic weight.
Jerry Casale had the unenviable job of playing with Alan Myers, The Human Metronome, on drums. Holy crap, if you were as much as a 128th note off, it would be obvious. There is NO give in that music. Jerry was playing weirdo art rock while staying directly on top of the beat with a pulse that the folks that maintain the atomic clock envy.

5 Likes

Devo was so tight. The whole band. Still are.

2 Likes

My favorite has to be Geddy Lee. Rush never needed a rhythm guitarist because Geddy played the hell out of his basses. Dusty Hill was the same way with that dirty bass. I also have a couple that I like that are really underrated: Bruce Hall of REO Speedwagon and Tony Lewis of The Outfield.

2 Likes

Thought long and hard about this one as it wasn’t as obvious it seemed.
Favorite doesn’t mean best, means favorite.
My two favorites are both odd picks for most.
Looking at my music room walls which tell the story of my musical life’s most influential bands and music, my favorite had to simply be Gene Simmons.
First band I ever obsessed over.
Every note, every lyric, every drum beat.
First album I ever bought was Alive!
Most albums on the walls.

The other one….Jimbo Wallace.
I’ve seen The Rev more times than I can remember, always from the right side of the stage in front of Jimbo. If/when I buy a double bass, it will be only to learn Jimbo lines (and some Mingus too).

McCartney is right up there too as I was a huge Beatles and Wings fan growing up but appreciate him for so much more than bass playing.

Jamerson is huge to me but not knowing who he even was most of my life, the impact came after.

2 Likes

I love this pic:

From one generation to the next :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Like, this would have been an amazing show:

2 Likes