Favorite Bassist?

Suicidal Tendencies for me! I’ve also been looking into Jason Newsted lately. This guy is so underappreciated.

3 Likes

Are we not men?

4 Likes

we are devo

3 Likes

Rock/metal: Steve, Geezer, Cliff
Technique: Victor Wooten, Wojtek Pilichowski, Lee Sklar

2 Likes

Glad to hear someone else say this… I’ve been a fan of REM for a long time, and his playing always stood out to me…

2 Likes

Mariusz Duda-Bassist and singer for “Riverside”…I love his chording and wicked lines he weaves throughout this song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ygv3BBqv3U

1 Like

For me?

Les Claypool. I don’t want to play like him, but his weirdness in his bass playing (and his basses, holy hell do I want one of his basses) makes him one of my favorites. Primus is - and has been for as long as I can remember - one of my favorite bands.

Timothy B. Schmit. The Eagles are, as far as I’m concerned, class incarnate in a band. Just top notch musicians across the board, and I dig their basslines and the way they’re played by Mr. Schmit.

Justin Chancellor. Tool. Need I say more, here, really?

Martin Mendez. Opeth. This guy effing rocks.

Colin Edwin. Porcupine Tree. Amazing basslines, and I have never seen anyone so happy to be playing bass as this guy. Makes me happy to hear him play.

2 Likes
  • Flea, that made me want to learn bass
  • John Taylor (Duran Duran), who is very underrated and that made me rebuy a bass after being injured for years. His joy of playing is contagious !!
  • Peter Cetera (Chicago), who is soooo highly underrated
  • Mike Porcaro (Toto)
  • Roosevelt, multi-instrumentalist that makes awesome bass lines with whom I learned to play with a pick !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=80s3warB_c0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RBLvIRksnuY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UBS6MM05KdY

3 Likes

Totally! He’s great.

5 Likes

You know who else I always liked? Mikey Craig, the bassist from Culture Club. I’ve always dug their basslines.

2 Likes

All The The Above For Sure

Now, for me, its difficult to answer these style of questions because I tend over think it.

When in the shop, Jam Bands
Davis Schools Wide Spread Panic
Kieth Mosley String Cheese Incident
Ryan Stasik Umphreys McGee

Driving , Reggae
Aston Barrett
Lloyd Brevett The Skatalites

On The Bike
Esperanza Spaulding
George Porter
Bill Black
Bootsy
Sting

In The Office
Bernard Edwards
David Hood
Rick Danko
Verdine White

Yardwork & Chores
Chris Squire
Stanley Clarke
Phil Lesh
Larry Graham
John Entwistle

So there are some name for ya and I will probably wanna change my answers here in about an hour from now.

Be Well,
Cheers

3 Likes

So, aside from loving Carvin basses, and wanting a carl martin or Pachyderm bass, we share a love for Les and Primus.

Seems like we may have been cut from the same cloth.

2 Likes

This reminds me, my friend is seeing Primus on the Rush Tribute tour right now. He’s sending pics. Apparently it’s awesome.

4 Likes

Sweet

2 Likes

For me it’s Flea. RHCP is my all time favorite band and I just love his versatility. He can go from super punk or funk in one song and then be calm and melodic in another. One thing for me that made Flea stand out was as a young teenager me and my two best friends all loved the chili peppers. So we would listen to their music all the time. We came up with the idea of basically doing air guitar. One friend would be Anthony and sing, one would be John for the lead guitar and I was given the bass lines for Flea. It sounds super silly and childish, but I loved it and we had fun pretending to play those parts. It really did help me listen for the bass lines in their songs.
Honestly for me one of the hardest things with being a total noob on the bass is I get frustrated with myself when I can’t play any RHCP. Even the more ‘simple’ bass lines have little nuances that are above my level.

1 Like

Its ok, keep at it, you will get there. Its not a race, you gotta put your time in, but learn fundamentals and then use them to learn trickier bass lines…

Its natural to get frustrated, but its also natural to not be that great as a noob.
Remembering you are a noob, reminding yourself, could help turn frustration into dedication, which is what will get you where you wanna be now.
And at that time, you will still have goals to aim for that are larger then what they are now.
It is never-ending learning and perfecting.

Many to most very good players have teachers, coaches, instructors, whatever you wanna call it, and many pros have teachers they go to, and or colleagues to trade tips tricks and ideas with.

Just stick with it and it will work out

3 Likes

Thank you for the motivational words. The B2B class honestly helps a ton with keeping me motivated

2 Likes

100% agree!

3 Likes

Subject to change, but Cliff Burton and The Duck are at the top of my list.

Reginald Arvisu from Korn is a bit of a guilty pleasure of mine, some of his stuff is just plain sick, and “Got The Life” has some pretty badass slap bass.

1 Like

I’m a big fan of Mike Mills from REM (gorgeous, melodic bass lines), Tina Weymouth from Talking Heads, Paul Simenon from the Clash, John Illsley from Dire Straits (I think I might be showing my age here :grinning:), and currently Glenn Worf, but hands down favorite bass player is David Hood from the Muscle Shoals rhythm section. So laid back & in the groove. I marvel at his economy and tastefulness.