Favorite Bassist?

One lefty to another:

Until I decided to take up bass, there I could have only listed a small number of bassists: Tina Weymouth, Flea, Sting, Billy Gibbons, Geddy Lee, Michael Anthony,and Marko Hietala (formerly of Nightwish). The only ones I can think of that I ever appreciated specifically for their skill on bass were Flea and Sting.

Since I retired and got my bass during the flu panic, I’ve been exposed via internet to some people I want to be like when I grow up:: Lee Sklar (I always wondered who the bearded guy in the Sussudio video was), Billy Sheehan, Marcus Miller, Victor Wooten, and the list continues to grow.

i’ll have to revisit this thread next year to update everybody on how my appreciation of musicians has grown…

3 Likes

All you guys :slight_smile:

Seriously though Lemmy, Steve Harris (before Maiden started sucking), Joey Demaio and Geezer Butler are all incredible. Jack Bruce and John Entwhistle are both legends. I’ve recently discovered Paul Gray (ex-Damned) - video attached for reference…

5 Likes

The Damned are an awesome band @Ed

4 Likes

Billy Gould of Faith No More.

7 Likes

Yup, same. I was a guitar player for a long time before taking up bass. Bassists rarely registered with me. I knew the flashy ones — Flea, Billy Sheehan, etc. — and the ones who sang — Geddy Lee, Sting — and a couple of others like Tina Weymouth. Because, well, she’s just cool.
But I have a newfound appreciation for “pocket” players like Lee Sklar and David Hood. And a weird new appreciation for disco :flushed:. When I was a metal/punk/New Wave guy in the 70s & 80s, disco was anathema, but, damn, those are some good bass lines! Who knew that in my mid 50s I would re-discover Donna Summer and Earth, Wind & Fire.
ETA: Kinga Glyk absolutely ripping “September”

2 Likes

I LOVE Kinga, but not her music sad to say, and I have tried, not my thing, but her covers of other songs are the BOMB.

3 Likes

I think you should be watching Verdine White playing it @LeftyChad ,
He is the man IMO, hell its his bass line.
Cheers Brian

1 Like

I saw Verdine White in concert when I was 16. He left an impression on me, an I didn’t go to listen to him play

2 Likes

Blasphemy! Maiden has never sucked.

4 Likes

Well… they have never been the same since seventh son IMO. You can’t compare their work of Number of the Beast with whatever they produced after 1990

4 Likes

These 2 belong to my TOP 10

3 Likes

Ha, what a great vid. Guy on the right is so happy.

3 Likes

Well, yeah, he is Italian :grin:

The other guy also stays in character… he is Russian :wink:

4 Likes

Sklar, Sting, Manring

1 Like

Wow. That was super cool.

1 Like

My favorite has to Billy Sheehan just because he’s such a badass!

1 Like

I just watched an interview with him by Julia Hofer from Thomann. Great guy to listen to as well.

2 Likes

This is a nice example why i like Joe Dart so much and how simplicity can work (awesome drummer)

5 Likes

Eh, that is subjective. Steve Harris never sucked, but Iron Maiden had some crappy, or should I say in more reasonable terms, sub par albums.

2 Likes

Yes, this is true, NPFTD, X Factor, Virtual XI and Brave New World were weaker overall. Ok, ok. You got me, but for a couple of gems they were pretty terrible.

4 Likes