Favorite Bassist?

These probably aren’t the normal selection but my favorites nonetheless. :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Awesome. I wish I’d started learning bass back when I could comfortably sit like that for extended periods!

That was fantastic, but I was so distracted trying to work out how he was holding his bass up - does not appear he has a strap on. In fact none of the guitarists look like they have straps - is it my eyes?

1 Like

John Deacon, Dusty Hill and John Taylor are three that quickly come to mind.

4 Likes

Oh cool. I haven’t followed Tal enough to have her be one of my favorites, but she is super talented.

1 Like

They have them all on stands and then stand behind their guitars/bass and play like that… it’s their thing! (And typically they also all play in TopGun-like overalls).

And, yes, Nate Smith is a beast on drums!

3 Likes

I’m going to be filling this set of doors with pictures and posters for our hangout session in December and was looking for ideas of bass players all of you would like to see on the “wall”. I’ve got 3 posters coming of Dusty Hill, Geddy Lee and Tony Lewis but I’ve also printed up several photos of bass players, some by your suggestions here, but I don’t want to forget anyone either. Right now, I have around 20 photos of various bass players alive and dead.

1 Like

P-nut — 311
Simon Gallup — The Cure
Chris Wolstenholme — Muse
Charles Berthoud (if you haven’t watched this guys youtube channel, you need to do that right now)

3 Likes

Everyone sleeps on Duff McKagan, but he reminds me a lot of James Jamerson if James played punk.

5 Likes

Duff is a very accomplished bass player @mpops1990 . You only have to attempt some of the G’n’R bass lines to appreciate this

5 Likes

hooky / joy division & new order
tina wemouth / talking heads
kim deal / pixies
mike mills / rem
colin greenwood / radiohead
bootsy collins
flea
les claypool
mani / stone roses
joe dart
mike watt
melissa auf der maur / hole
edit: simon raymonde / cocteau twins

4 Likes

Aww yeah :slight_smile:

I always go with Simon Raymonde for the Cocteaus but Will killed it on Wax and Wane for sure. Garlands was a great album.

2 Likes

Joe Gittleman the Bass Fiddleman from the Mighty Mighty Bosstones–now a college professor.

The Mighty Mighty Bosstones - Someday I Suppose - YouTube

2 Likes

i was thinking ‘howard will like some of these’ :+1: (also i agree - i was thinking of simon but wrote will - will edit)

1 Like

I like all of them! Excellent list :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Shit shit shit.

Posting this here as we hopefully won’t need to in the “In Memoriam” thread. Greg may not be my absolute favorite, but he was the perfect and only bassist for Husker Du. Helped shape both hardcore punk and post-hardcore.

4 Likes

Hopefully if they’ve caught it early enough things should work out okay.
My Dads been living with it for over 10 years now and leads a normal life

2 Likes

Whatever it is, it’s catching :grimacing:

Also posting here and hoping an in memoriam post won’t be necessary.

3 Likes

Ugh. Seems like a great guy too.

1 Like

fuck.

2 Likes