Fear of the 5th string! The Ibanez EHB1005SMS

Yay, my ugly bass (Ibanez EHB1005SMS) arrived!

Thanks, @howard, @Al1885, @Wombat-metal and everybody else who endured my posts ^^

First, a picture:

First impressions:

• it’s not as ugly as I thought (@howard)
  • The ergonomics are GREAT, but I need to find a better strap length (it must be much shorter as it already is)
  • It sounds “adult”, ie not like my tiny Blackstar, and more like my ESP long scale (but very different in nature)
  • I am overwhelmed by the possibilities of all those knobs (two of them having two functions).
  • Tuning is easy
  • Must find out how to set intonation though. @Wombat-metal?
  • Setup is too high. I hope this is not an issue of the nut!
  • The little dots on 3th, 5th, 7th string etc are invisible…
  • Playing EADG tuning is easier than I thought, still not as easy as before.

And: the 5th string raises fear in me!

Before I played Drop D, but this is a different beast. First of all: it sounds great in BEADG.
But As soon as I touch the 5th string, I forget about the positions of the other strings and just miss the right one.

That s#cks!

Of course, it’s a matter of practice, but my girlfriend looks at me with a combination of pity and disgust when I play BEADG. With Drop D she was singing along.

I have 30 days to give it back, so let’s see if it can convince me…

9 Likes

I’ve currently got serious GAS for the 4 string version of the same. Can’t decide whether the EHB1500 is worth the extra over the EHB1000 or possibly the EHB1000 with pickups changed. I do love the looks of the EHB1500 one but are the looks (about the only difference other than the pickups) worth £300-400 extra?

RE the fifth string, I’d just practice scales and arpeggios for a while and you’ll soon get used to it I’m sure.

2 Likes

Kind of makes me want a headless bass actually.

3 Likes

Two reasons they appeal to me: one lighter, two better balanced (no neck dive).

3 Likes

Don’t ask me about “looks” - I can ignore that (in basses).
Mine is the short scale version, by the way.

The pickups on this bass are very OK. I did not feel the immidiate need to replace them ^^
Many people complain about the Bartolini, I don’t. Maybe I’m to tired to complain?

I found one strange thing - I seem to play/pick much closer to the neck now, due to the bodyshape.
Is this the same for you? I really need to get used to that, it feels unnatural…

2 Likes

Yeah, I understand. It really is different, when you see it “live”!
I could live with it, and my girlfriend told me that there is no need for me to buy a wig, lycra pants and lipstick to match the bass!

5 Likes

Neck dive is non existent. Weight feels almost cheap - but the Ibanez is really well made!

2 Likes

Why does need have to be a factor?

2 Likes

Because from the pictures, the headless, silver colour and exaggerated horny top on the body would be more fitting for one of those glam rock bands.

Or maybe one of those androgynous 80s bands, like Duran Duran? I still need lipstick, then :slight_smile:

1 Like

I haven’t actually tried one yet (haven’t found a local shop that has one in stock). Do you find that sitting or standing (or both)?

1 Like

I’m currently sitting when playing bass - for fear that I would dance around like @sundog when standing :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Our job is to make people move!!! Stand!!!

5 Likes

Well the body is meant to be smaller and it does have 24 frets so maybe that places your hand closer to the neck? Again probably just something to get used to! Also is your current bass a short scale? If not that would bring everything a little further to the right.

2 Likes

I don’t recall JT ever playing a headless. Initially, he played an Aria Pro, then a Factor (freakin’ cool bass!), Peaveys and now Dingwalls.

1 Like

Yes, it’s short scale. I don’t want a long scale currently, except when it’s fretless (someday).

He looks like he should play headless :slight_smile:

2 Likes

One of the reviews I looked at commented on this but also commented on being easy to fix:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/guitar-fret-stickers/s?k=guitar+fret+stickers

2 Likes

I will stand as soon as I play better and have taken some 80s dance move course, like you did :slight_smile:

1 Like

My first mod!

2 Likes

That looks to be a Lekato strap? Mine was too long even after adjusting to it’s shortest configuration. I made a small, easy modification so that it could be shorter, and it fits way better now. If I’m interpreting your statement correctly and your strap is too long, and you’d like the details just let me know.

EDIT: Always forget to make my point: NICE BASS!

3 Likes

Yes, let me know!

(And thanks!)

I already modified by cutting the original strap and put this “thingy” on it, to make it shorter…

1 Like