Fender American Deluxe Zone Bass

I found a Fender American Deluxe Zone Bass for sale near me that I am going to take a look at. It is a 2004 and he’s looking to get $2000 for it. I won’t pay that, but I am wondering if that price is really in the ball park for this guitar. They seem to be rather rare so it is hard to get comparable prices on others that have sold.

Anyone have an idea on what one of these is really worth in today’s market?

1 Like

That’s really on the upper end (USA/Japan made, highly figured top, nitro finish, case and documentation). Tried to do some research on this model but it seems like a word they just slapped on everything with exotic wood and active pickups because the specs and production locations are all over the place

2 Likes

It’s a beautiful guitar, American made, but I have seen prices from around $650 all the way to $2,000+. I don’t mind paying if it is worth it, but hard to put the right number on something with that much range…

1 Like

Here is one that sold for $1300 on talkbass.com
SOLD - Fender American Deluxe Zone Bass | TalkBass.com

The ones in the $650 range are probably either the Mexican made or from somewhere else outside the US. I even found one for $350 but it’s not American made.

1 Like

I’d want to know a whole lot about the neck and truss rod before I dropped more than $1k on a bass from 2004. And I do own a bass from that era.

Personally I’d pass on this one. You can buy a whole lot of bass in the $1k-$1.5k range. In this case you’re paying a hefty premium for the Fender branding (as usual) and also the fact that it was kind of a luxury model.

4 Likes

Good info @eric.kiser that finish looks like they spread on toffee and let it cool. I mean toffee is great, if you’re eating it. But as a finish. Yeah no.

4 Likes

The good news is it’s double humbucker, which is rare for Fender basses, and definitely my preference. But $2k? no. That’s extreme even for the Fender Tax.

4 Likes

Hard to say without any specs and photos, but $2k sounds a bit hefty.

1 Like

Unless you are missing that “spot” in your Fender collection and/or can’t wait to get your hands on one, I’d passed.

If that’s the double jazz humbucker pickups, you’ll have a hard time finding the aftermarket pickups only one high end brand still make those, Delano.

1 Like

And since it is a Fender, you will likely want to replace the pickups.

1 Like

I saw it and played it today. Very well maintained beautiful bass. If he decides to come down to the $1200-1300 range I will grab it

Otherwise…

3 Likes

I think that’s the price range I’d go. Sadly unlike the mainstream models like Precision or Jazz this one would not appreciate much in price.