Fender Bullet Nitro finish: restore or not?

Pearly paint chipped off of top saddle, worn all the way down to the base wood, and with divots on the backside pitted into the wood. One of the last made in Fullerton, California, an entry-level 1980-82ish model of odd parts left lying around before production moved to Japan as a Squier.

Question: take it to a luthier to restore, or leave as is? If the latter, as the patina finish may be admired by relic aficionados, is there a way to protect or shield the damaged saddle area so it doesn’t chip off more when playing? Any advice, as I want to pass this on to my far more adept bass playing son? (He reckons leave good enough alone; I promised to ask you experts.)

4 Likes

Difficult one for sure but if you’re passing it on to your son and he says leave it alone I would be tempted to do just that.

5 Likes

Got pictures? Fender is a different animal, like Levi’s jeans if it’s roadworn tastefully the value increase significantly especially made in USA models

4 Likes

I’d leave it as it is. It tells a story of time, music played and the hard life of a rock bass in general.

4 Likes

If I do leave as is, any suggestions for limiting or shielding from further wear or chipping on the worn saddle area? I don’t want it to turn into a raw wooden block! As with the apt Levi’s analogy, those rips can turn jeans into rags at stress points. Thanks.

5 Likes

I hear you my friend. That bass look just ripe. It’s awesome providing that every thing works. This is what a $1500 “extra” they charge to relic the bass. Right down to the bare wood too. If you don’t want to get raw contact may be a boiled linseed oil rub will help.

I’ll say this. I would not refinish that bass, as the matter of fact I would not touch it, except for playing it more. That’s a gorgeous bass. That worn down neck must be something special to play.

7 Likes

People pay a lot of money for basses like that and to take a new bass and make it look like that. It’s worth more that way than a perfect finish

7 Likes

Cool bass. All of the damage looks hard earned to me. I wouldn’t do anything to it.

The damage on the back has a name, it’s called ‘buckle rash’.

7 Likes

I would definitely leave well alone and enjoy a really cool looking bass.

6 Likes

Leave it alone if it for playing , it shows it has been used and loved. If it is going to be shown and look around and see if they still the paint to bring it back to its glory.
Leave it alone if still being played.

6 Likes

I agree with @Al1885 , Al
I wouldn’t touch it, it looks awesome :+1::sunglasses:
Cheers Brian

6 Likes

If you are worried about the exposed wood then just apply some linseed or tru oil to it. Otherwise, I would leave it as is.

4 Likes