Fender copyright ruling

Absolutely! This is it in a nutshell! If you want a factory reliced bass, buy one (either new, or second hand). If you want a pristine bass, buy one and protect it. If you want your own battle-scared bass, battle-scar it!

Do what you want to do, not what others tell you to do. Obviously, providing you don’t hurt others in the process.

I actually think it’s quite interesting that Harley Benton, who are part of the whole fender lawsuit thing, are doubling down and now selling instruments that are aping the custom shop, relic vibe.

3 Likes

Those are also my design heroes! Wipeout, Warp .. all that!
In fact, I pointed “my” park punk chick to them just a few days ago, to show how her cool the 90s were in terms of design!
I even used their “design” (in a way, they inspired me) in my last video…

LOL! :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

Now, THAT’s punk! Maybe it’s even more punk if you beat the sh#t out of the owner and give the bass to a friend that starts a band and looses the bass cause: drunk :slight_smile:

This is the weakness of all anti-establishment movements, I agree.
I have this discussion a lot with my an anarchistic Antifa “black block” friends. They are the militant branch of Antifa here, and all dress the same (in black).
So much for anarchy :slight_smile:

That makes every egotistic @sshole a punk. There must be more to the punk movement, right?

About the HB aging: I like HB a lot, but I find it strange that they want to make their Basses appear older than they probably exist.
Why not just make great & cheap basses, like they used to? Leave the aging and modding to the buyers.

2 Likes

I also thought that. But there are also many small brands doing the same thing.

They are doing that too. But I’d suggest they are also looking to increase market share, as most companies do.

True. Conformity, or non-conformaty, cuts both ways. Isn’t that the irony of ‘punk’, you need to be non-confirmist in a conformist way? I remember going through a very ‘goth’ phase at university (it cost me a fortune in hairspray!!), but I wore a lot of blue rather than black. Was I really ‘Goth’? Who knows… :joy:

2 Likes

We used sugar or soap … and some used egg whites (which I found too smelly).
It’s cheap, but after a few hours of sweaty pogo, you really want to be anything but punk :slight_smile:

I do understand that.
For me, HB was not about image, but just about the instrument (and price). This is what makes them actually very cool!
I had all those funny (???) discussions with Fender fanboys here, who were just like all those 10 years olds that still find Apple cool.
Fender is mostly about buying an image for yourself. HB is just about playing.

Aging is clearly about image. I understand this from a sales perspective, but not from the perspective of a buyer.
Or is “aged” now an aesthetic, just like stone washed jeans were back in the days?

What times we live in!

Good thing: I’m aged too. Maybe I can rebrand my self as reliced to the 20-something bikini girls in the park? I’ll start a new fashion fad: me :slight_smile:

4 Likes

To be fair, all basses are just about playing. Good bass is about feeling, physically. Every Alembic are hand carved I can certainly appreciate the quality of the craftsmanship.

Fender for many is about reselling. It’s predictable.

4 Likes

What a great slogan for Fender:

Fender - we’re predictable!

Love it! :slight_smile:

5 Likes

If I were Fender, I would market and sell any relic’d instrument as Fender Benders ™ :squinting_face_with_tongue:

6 Likes

Thanks! I can stop using the internet for today - can’t get more funny after this :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I agree it is not real wear and tear, like, it is not real aging. It is not however “factory” wear and tear, it is manually made by an artisan. Each bass is “aged” by hand, and each one will look unique and won’t look the same. From this point of view, those hardcore aged Sandberg basses are more original and unique looking than the brand new ones.

In my twenties, I was a goth/punk, and many of my clothes had “fake” wear and tear, because I had done that to them myself. The difference here is that I didn’t pay anyone to do that, I did it myself.

I kind of miss those times. In my university years, I was the only one in my class who only wore black, and black nail polish. I carried my stuff in a plastic folder I had completely covered with black-and-white photos of my favourite bands, with ripped edges, and covered by clear contact paper.

Yeah, but back to aged basses, maybe they would be “more punk” if the person herself had done all the scratches, intentionally or not. As Barney pointed out, polyurethane finishes will never age like that naturally. And if one wanted to do that work oneself, it would be necessary to have the right tools and know exactly what and how to do it. Chances are the bass would look horrid instead. I mean, I doubt it is easy to make a bass look like that aged Sandberg without the proper tools and knowhow.

I agree with that too!

One way to look at it is that it is art. Another way to look at it is AAAAARGH, a perfect instrument made with love and care is perfectly ruined!

It is a love it or hate it kind of thing. If I could have only one Sandberg, I would prefer a very neat and new one. If I had more money than I need, I would like having a hardcore aged black and white Sandberg because it looks so cool, and it is a good instrument (if it had been beaten the shit out of it and dragged on asfalt, it wouldn’t play well anymore).

The Swedish have a saying: taste is like buttocks: divided in the middle. Meaning, people have different tastes.

4 Likes

Thanks for posting pictures of your bass! It is gorgeous. I tried to find pictures of it in the forum, but I only found one of it where it is hanging on the wall and it is a little far to see it. I was about to ask for photos. :blush:

Humans are social animals, and rules soon appear even when the idea is that there are no rules.

Breaking out from the social norm today is to rebel against AI and big tech. Especially in a world where privacy is disappearing, the rich are getting extremely rich and the poor are getting poorer. Companies like Fender trying to get rid of all the competition, just like countries invading other sovereign countries.

2 Likes

Pop Will Eat Itself too! So much great art. DR is so good.

1 Like

I mean when I see someone with a rough instrument without clear coat shine on exposed unfinished areas - I think about what kind of journey this person has been on and I expect to hear something really great out of them.

1 Like

Like: “I went to the Thomann web site and just clicked the ‘buy’ button. It was delivered 2 days later!” :slight_smile:

2 Likes

This is EXACTLY the thing that originally cracked me up hard about the whole custom relic thing. I ran across some that had a factory relic job done, and then clear finish applied over the scratches and gouges.

That’s just funny.

5 Likes

Fender just tries to prevent other brands from having nukes :slight_smile:

4 Likes

That’s hilarious! Of course, it could be even worse. This George Lynch LTD signature model is just stickers on top of the finish, IIRC.

5 Likes

Cool! So it’s a ‘convertible’, provided they sell replacement stickers!

Honestly? I’d be more interested in that horrid looking bass than any “relic” instrument straight from the manufacturer. At least you could hold that up and take credit for it. You had a vision, you had an idea, and you went for it.

Way more respectable than “I clicked the buy-it-now button on the Reliced Guitars, Inc. website.”

At least, IMHO.

1 Like

That works! Clearly, one also has the story of angst, hoping the bass will turn up ok… I mean, that’s the kind’s story that needs telling and retelling!!

1 Like

Yes, my fellow bass warrior, it’s the kind of story that should have been in the Edda :slight_smile:

1 Like