Fender decal - wtf?

Hi all bass players, hope you’re doing good!!!

So I’d been thinking about going from a MIM jazz to a MIA jazz and finally decided to go for it. I managed to find a 60s American original jazz in candy apple red online - wasn’t keen on ordering online but the series seems to have gone out of production so I was pleased to find one.

I was super excited when it arrived, and loved the feel the minute i picked it up. But the next morning i noticed the logo on the headstock looked a bit odd and couldn’t believe it when i realised it was like a transfer!!! I thought I’d bought a fake :frowning:

After a bit of googling it seems that this is what’s known as a decal and is true to the original 60s form. Really? I have a couple of vinteras (P & J) and they don’t have this.

Has anyone else picked up on this with a similar fender? I can’t quite believe they would do this to a 1650£ instrument…

I’d love to know your thoughts

Cheers
Mikey

3 Likes

3 Likes

Funky.

3 Likes

I’m not sure what exactly you’re referring to. Fender used water slide decals in the 60s and 70s and they just lacquered over them. Polyurethane reacts badly to their original water slide decals and that’s why you see 70s fenders with poly bodies and necks and a yellow lacquered headstock

3 Likes

I’m sorry to say that yours looks a bit off to me. I hope I’m wrong. Here is one from reverb for comparison.

1 Like

That decal looks to be over the lacquer and to be “silvered”.

It doesn’t look original to me.

Maybe send the serial number to Fender and see what they say.

6 Likes

I was getting those vibes as well. It could have been replaced; I have seen the decals be damaged coming out of the factory. Definitely call them and see what’s up

5 Likes

thanks thats good to compare

4 Likes

thanks I’ll contact them

3 Likes

Fender has a website where you can lookup a serial number and it will tell you the information on it - model, date of production. Might start there. S/N should be on the back of the headstock.

https://serialnumberlookup.fender.com/lookup/

3 Likes

there is no number on the headstock but this is consistent with these models on the fender website American Original '60s Jazz Bass® | Electric Basses

there is a number on the anchor plate which checks out on the link you sent (thanks). maybe it’s just a bad finish as you get every now and then…?

2 Likes

My Charvel, which is made by Fender, has it’s s/n on the plate. I forgot. Sorry for steering you wrong.

Most do it on the headstock

4 Likes

I do see some images of decal ‘silvering’ on others, esp on the “contour body” decal. It could just be a quality issue.

They all get these, but perhaps they got a bad lot of decals.
Call Fender, they are quite helpful.
They catalog issues, so if you give the serial number and the issue you can see if others have complained.
Looks like trapped air/gas from some offgassing chemical reaction.

4 Likes

I suppose you’re right. I’ve seen some unmodified American Original 60s where the water slide has been partly flaking off which shouldn’t be possible if it was under the laquer

2 Likes

The angle of the picture makes the decal looks really fake, but it could be the angle.

Usually, even with mim, I’d start with the serial number then go from there. If you are not comfortable with it and a return is possible I’d do it.

4 Likes

Excellent advice. Even if this bass is completely legit, if you are at all uncomfortable, it’s worth the return.

5 Likes

Thanks all for your thoughts on this. Everything else about this bass feels good - sound, weight, hardware - is the graphic that important? After all i don’t really see it when i’m playing.

Will think it over this weekend. Have a great Saturday all :slight_smile:

5 Likes

If you are not bothered by it… We, as a society/as a culture, should really learn to let go of an excessive attachment to objects/symbols. For me GAS can be fun, in moderation, but when I think of all the money I spend without really enriching me (in terms of experience) I feel… Empty. If the bass is right for you, do you really think that a decal will change your perception of it?

1 Like

I mean…

It seems like it’s important to YOU, and that’s all that matters.

For my part, if I did my due diligence as mentioned above (look up serial number, call Fender, etc.) and everything checked out, I’d be fine with it. I’d consider it a part of the instrument’s character.

1 Like

That decal looks sus my dude. I would be pretty upset if that’s how my bass came at just under $2k.

2 Likes