Fender Jazz vs Sire Marcus Miller V7

Anyone have any experience comparing the 2? I’m looking for a decent Jazz bass and narrowed it down between the Fender Player Jazz and the Sire V7 2nd Gen, the problem is there aren’t any stores within 100 miles of me that have the V7 in stock for me to try, so would be buying blind which I always try to avoid. So any insight would be much appreciated.

FWIW the general online consensus seems to be the MM V7 has much more tonal diversity but the Fender MiM Jazz has a higher build quality.

3 Likes

I was wanting to know this as well, along with a comparison to the Fender Marcus Miller MIJ J-bass that is no longer made.

There are a LOT of YouTube videos on your ask, much less on the MIJ Fender version.

I believe the Fender version has the Sadowski pre-amp and a different tonal controls. Not sure how much of that translated to the Sire, or what changed as well.

Sire cites specific pickups but not preamp other than “heritage”.

The Fender MIJ one looks a lot cooler with additional tonal options (or at least it seems like it).
https://reverb.com/p/fender-marcus-miller-artist-series-signature-jazz-bass-mij-1999-2014?hfid=39493930&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=12293041840&utm_content=campaignid=12293041840_adgroupid=117735251659_productpartitionid=1171618093671=merchantid=312224699_productid=39493930_keyword=_device=c_adposition=_matchtype=_creative=497277137736&gclid=Cj0KCQjw1PSDBhDbARIsAPeTqrcTVMiVzKFWWMF_1oHOLTygKsONvEG8kdUCs89EZpCSHDzVoBcpUjoaAhHOEALw_wcB

2 Likes

Thanks for the tips. After spending some time on youtube I’m starting to look at the V5 more than the V7. The V5 has a lot of the same components, roasted maple neck, and is passive with only the standard J bass controls. Though at that point I might just go with the Fender MiM for a couple hundred more since I can’t play the V5 before buying.

1 Like

Billy Thakidd has some experience on this topic. He has also vids about testing the V7. He usually has some solid advice when it comes to these bass models. :wink: This vid is about Fender vs Sire.

5 Likes

Thanks, actually just watched this one a bit ago. Sounds like Sire is better bang for the buck (if you don’t mind that ugly headstock :slight_smile: )

That said, I’m going to go to the local GC and test out the MiM Jazz. If I like it, I’ll probably go with that over the Sire V5. Buying a bass online without playing it first makes me very uneasy, and Fender has always kinda been my first love.

Sire will be the first place I look if I ever want to try out an active J, 5 string and/or fretless.

2 Likes

I like the Sire headstocks a lot better than the Fender’s :thinking:

7 Likes

Cool beans. Hope you find your bass! Don’t think you can go really wrong with a Sire or Fender.

3 Likes

Which of the Fender lineup is the MIM you are looking at?

1 Like

The Fender Jazz Bass model made in Mexico is the “Player”, @John_E . . . :slight_smile:

Cheers
Joe

3 Likes

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder, as they say :upside_down_face:

I don’t think they’re that ugly tbh, just jumps out in a weird way when the rest of the bass looks exactly like a Fender J. I’m actually leaning towards the Sire V5 now fwiw.

4 Likes

That’s why I like the Sire headstocks: they immediately identify the bass as a Sire, not a Fender. I also think they look a bit cleaner, more modern… I guess I’m just not a fan of the Fender headstock shape :wink:

They are tempting basses, by the way… I’ve been eyeing the P7 for a while now. It may be the only bass I’ll ever need :thinking:

2 Likes

Ordered the Sire V5 last night. Not exactly easy to find, even the EU superstores were backordered a couple months. But found a place called Pitbull Audio in California has a couple in stock. This should be here within a week or so –

Screen Shot 2021-04-20 at 9.42.33 AM

Bursts aren’t usually my top choice but I think this one looks great with the roasted maple neck and darker headstock. And the fact they are hard to find made me feel better about buying blind, as I’m fairly sure that I could get good resale value if I don’t like it. Also happy to save $300 going with this instead of the Fender.

8 Likes

Nice! I like the burst too and it blends in nicely with the neck and headstock.

3 Likes

I love the roasted maple headstocks, contrats @bjams
Pitbull audio seems to be a good outfit, btw.

4 Likes

@paul beat me to it, @bjams . . . :slight_smile:

I was going to say the exact same thing. Very nice color combo!

Good luck with it

Cheers
Joe

3 Likes

Absolutely! Love the way the wood grain shows through the lighter part of the burst. The matching headstock completes the picture. Very nice!

2 Likes

Reading through the thread I am happy that you went for the passive version! On this one you can always upgrade the pickups easily as well!

Hope it will feel good in your hands!

2 Likes

Yep! The pre-amp was appealing at first, especially for mid cut/boost, but whenever I have too many knobs to play with I inevitably make the tone sound like muddy $#%&

1 Like