Fender rumble 100 v3

also maybe for newcomers … if you believe you need a $5000 amp and a $3000 bass to sound good, you’re wrong. you’re just wrong. get a Squier (or a Yamaha for the more modern-oriented guys) and a Fender Rumble and, if you take the time to develop some skill, you will sound good.

if you have too much money and want to spend it … well, that’s fine … totally another subject :sweat_smile:

7 Likes

That’s what I’m trying to do, @terb ! . . . :grin: lol

4 Likes

100% agree!

3 Likes

That’s excellent advice @terb. I think any noob (and I definitely am!) needs to figure out goals, budgets, etc.

My Gibson and Rumble 100 cost me a combined $1100. That seems a reasonable investment for me.

I can get the amp and cab I want for combined $1500. Again, seems reasonable for me, even though I don’t need either… Yet… (the amp is pre-owned, but mint, so I kinda want to, while it’s available).

But much better bang for my buck is practice. I’m a week in, hardcore pace. And I’m spending 4-5 hrs a day (except the one day I took off for back pain) plus YouTube time.

Peripherally related… Guitar/bass is flexible in a way other instruments aren’t. I have ligament damage in my right hand in index and pinky fingers. And my left hand, well, my fingers simply don’t splay like other players can… Yet. Josh has a video for practicing to correct flying fingers, and one exercise is G string, 9-12 frets. My fingers barely cover two-and-a-half frets, let one all four. . Maybe they’ll get there with rehab. And if not… I can always move my dang hand. May not be pretty, but there’s always a way to get the job done.

4 Likes

is it an insult ? :grin:

1 Like

No idea what you mean

@terb Okay, you lost me on that one, too. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

haha sorry, no problem at all, I’m not a Gibson-guy, that’s all :sweat_smile:

just a (very) bad joke, sorry

2 Likes

I know we’re getting way off topic, but didn’t Chris Squire used to do something like that? Maybe because he had a “stereo” Rickenbacker? Not sure. :thinking:

2 Likes

Lemmy.

1 Like

That’s OK, we can’t all have good taste… :sunglasses:

2 Likes

sure … :sweat_smile: :joy:

2 Likes

Oh now you’ve done it

(j/k - perfect response :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Joe, I wouldn’t be surprised if Chis Squire did. It seems to have been more popular with players from that era than it is today.

1 Like

in fact the bi-amping thing is pretty easy to do. with a Rickenbacker the “stereo” output brings a different output for both pickups. but the normal thing when we talk about bi-amping is to have a crossover filter somewhere, which is a thing that will splits the signal : high frequencies on one way, low frequencies on another way. then you can route each signal on different amps, and have different settings, optimized for low and high. ( @eric.kiser I know you already know that, I just wanted to precise things for newcomers)

my bass idol (if I can say that) Caleb Scofield used this kind of setup with 2 amps. one overdriven SVT with 10" and one clean random solid-state amp with 18 or even 21" :scream:

as @eric.kiser supposed, with the gear I have I could do that, but it’s just too boring for me, I already did that and it sounds really great but, I think it’s not necessary to sound good.

with my experience I think a 2x10" or 4x10" sounds “good enough” in a mix.

2 Likes

Just in relation to Bi-Amp and gear. The recently announced Orange Bass Butler pedal has a bi-amp built in. Supposed to be pretty good, but not a cheap pedal (though not crazy expensive either).

2 Likes

Lots of bass preamps have a separate distortion channel from their EQ. Not true bi-amping exactly but a similar effect for the distortion.

I’ve owned two pedals like this, the Ampeg SCR-DI (scrambler is separate from the EQ preamp) and the EHX Battalion (three switchable modes for how the EQ works with the distortion.)

1 Like