Fender rumble 100 v3

I was curious if anyone else has this amp. Josh did a review for the rumble 40 and I probably should have just bought that one. I’m still very happy with the tone.

2 Likes

From memory, the 40 and 100 are pretty much the same, apart from output levels and speaker size. Either is a great amp. The 100 can be used at small gigs (unless you have a hardcore drummer), but the 40 probably can’t.

1 Like

I think the 100 has an effect loop which the 40 doesn’t.

3 Likes

Yep, you’re right. That particular feature didn’t matter to me and I was going to get a 200+ gigging amp, so went with the 40. Happy with that as a practice amp.

1 Like

Yes, I started with a Rumble 25 and traded it in for the Rumble 100 . . . :slight_smile:

Very happy with it so far :+1: As @Timberfist points out, it does have effects in and out jacks, but I haven’t used them yet. Also has a footswitch jack that can toggle the overdrive circuit on and off.

Cheers, Joe

1 Like

Just last week I was tempted by a new 100 that was only £30 more than the 40. Seemed like a very small difference and it made me wonder why. Interested to hear anybody’s thoughts on it.

1 Like

The 40 has the footswitch too. The 40+ are very similar because they share the same head from what I recall. Just slightly different jacks, speakers, etc.

1 Like

The amp heads share the same preamp. The amps are obviously different though.

2 Likes

I find this amp interresting. might be tempted, if I sell the Ampeg. I’d prefer something smaller and lighter, as I’m not giging now. also I’d like a smaller speaker than 15".

but I’d have to test the Fender (and sell the Ampeg anyway) first.

2 Likes

The Studio 40 does.
I’ve not used it on mine though.

1 Like

yes have the 100, great tone,
the 3 effects are nice, but i hardly use them,
has an effects loop indeed, but i put my pedals before the input,
i find the overdrive so so (or i did not play it loud enough :upside_down_face:)
for the eq, just cutting high and doing the rest on the bass and pedal
using the XLR line out to a mixer for playback on PC/recording, it has the draw back that the volume on the XLR is also controlled by the volume on the amp, that is the only negative point i have

very happy with it

2 Likes

some effects work better in front of the amp, others in the loop. an overdrive is better in front, usually :slight_smile: the goal being to push the preamp

2 Likes

was refering to the build in overdrive

2 Likes

ok sorry !

1 Like

@Marcel I was just playing around with the overdrive, and yeah, it looks as if you really have to crank the volume up to get it. There may be a “sweet spot” combination of the Master, Gain, and overdrive controls also. Would need to experiment a little more to find it.

The “Vintage” filter is the only effect I use… . . :slight_smile:

Cheers, Joe

1 Like

My favorite of the voicings is having both Vintage and Contour engaged together. Not a fan of Bright though. I didn’t realize at first you could have multiples engaged, but that makes sense I guess or it would be a 3-way switch instead of individual buttons. :slightly_smiling_face:

BTW, the Rumble Club on talkbass has tons of info in the first post. I find that site a bit elitist, but it can be good for reference material.

3 Likes

Contour is great, it’s a nice mid scoop. Used it all the time on my 25.

I think the overdrive is actually pretty good for a warm, vintage style OD. It takes a lot to make it really distort but it gives a nice overdriven tone when not distorting, which is more of the point of it on the amp I think.

1 Like

I sometimes wish I’d went with the 40 because the 100 rattles my windows a bit, but I wanted something a little bigger just in case.

2 Likes

I like vintage and contour also. Bright if I played punk with a pick. I’m really happy with the weight and tone.

1 Like

Rattling windows is probably just a volume thing. Whole having a 40 caps your max volume, a 100 at volume 4 or something is probably a 40 at Max volume. Try turning your 100 down.

If the rattling is a frequency thing, it is unlikely that the 40 would be any different.

1 Like