Fender Rumble LT25

I thought since I have sold my LT25 in favour of buying a Rumble 100, it would be worth making some comments on why I sold it and made the change.
Like my bass playing generally, this was my first bass amp. The idea of having a unit that provides a range of virtual amp cabinets to try, and a range of virtual pedals, seemed appealing and cost effective.
And indeed I have had fun trying them all out, and I now have some experience at least of the variety of sound possible from amps. And some virtual pedals.
Also the idea that the amp has thrown in for free a PC interface to record my playing is a definite bonus.
However, after playing around and having fun with the options, I found I was generally setting the amp up to give me the cleanest sound I could.
It didn’t sit right with me to select amp options that overly coloured the sound.
I used to be really into audiophile HiFi, and the game there is to have a clean amp generally. I think that’s why all the weird amp settings on the LT25 didn’t really appeal.
I’d much rather be in control of colouring the sound by my choice of pedals etc. In my mind the amp’s job is to amplify that sound in the main, not change it.
The other issue was using the virtual pedals and the lack of a tactile on off footswitch. It is fun to use the LT25 to try the pedals and see what they do, but didn’t seem a good solution going forward.
Finally, I think while the sound isn’t in any way bad, the 8 inch speaker on the LT25 can’t compete with a 10, 12 or 15 inch.
I appreciate the Rumble 100 has a few sound options via buttons on the facia, but generally the vibe of the amp is not to present 60 amp types etc.
I’m in no way posting this as any kind of dissing of the LT25, it’s a very very good amp and good value. It’s just my subjective thoughts which may help someone trying to weigh up the pros and cons.

8 Likes

I’m kind of there with you @Mark_UK. As much a I enjoy my LT25 and all the effects it offers. I too tend to find myself grabbing for the cleanest sound I can find more often than not.

The amp has been great to start out on, and the recording interface to my PC is damn handy. I have had great fun learning what all the effects do and creating my own. I will still cycle through several of them if I get bored, but for the most part there are only 2 or 3 I use now, mostly pretty clean sounding though. The foot switch was a nice addition to it, I recommend that as well for this amp. This amp has been a GREAT bang for the buck to start on and very easy on the wallet too. Which was one of the big reasons I picked it… if things didn’t work out I wasn’t going to be out a ton of cash. But things have worked out well, and I love my new hobby!!! Much credit to @JoshFossgreen for this awesome course!!!

As I move forward, my next AMP probably won’t have nearly as many effects on board (if any), and I’m still waiting on that 410 cab to materialize that I mentioned in my The gear gods have smiled, and now I must shop! thread. Not any fault of my friend, just we haven’t seen each other for a month. I haven’t bugged him about it either. But even if that falls through, I already have a backup plan.

The FREE 410 cab sounds great on paper, but will be a LOT to move just to go jam with my brother-in-law and maybe some others. The LT25 just doesn’t have enough wattage behind it to jam with others either. While I REALLY like the TC Electronic AMP BH series heads, it means I still need to buy a suitable cab to go with it if I don’t end up with the free one. I’m nowhere near “gig ready” in this little journey so something smaller more portable makes more sense.

The next AMP will probably be a combo, and sadly the TC Electronic BG250-210 combo doesn’t seem readily available or affordable. Oh I do like their Tone Print options!!! But I’ve chosen the Peavey Max 300 2x10 as the backup plan. It should last me a good long time… unless I find something I like better in the mean time. Peavey MAX 300 2x10" 300-watt Bass Combo Amp | Sweetwater But we shall see what happens in the coming weeks.

Will I sell the LT25??? That has yet to be decided. I only paid $230 for it, and even though it is in like new condition what am I going to get for it? $100 maybe $150? I have all the original packaging so shipping it won’t be hard, but will be expensive. So I’d probably have to try to sell it locally. I could always keep it, and see how much I use it after I move on to the next amp. Or keep it in the back of my Grand Cherokee and play it off the cars inverter near a beach somewhere by myself, who knows? LOL.

Chris

5 Likes

Hi @csmundell, I think our experience of the LT25 is very close - good choice at the time, had fun playing with the options, don’t regret buying but need to move on now.
That Peavey amp looks really good, modern and clean looking. I will have to read up on it.
Hope you get sorted soon. Mark

5 Likes

I think this is a common experience for bass amps under 100W or so regardless of what’s on them. If you have the ability to play at volume, or plan to play with others, people will outgrow them, and there’s nothing wrong with that.

It’s an excellent case study in why I recommend people do not prioritize amps with built-in effects. You want your effects separate from your amp, because it is really likely you’re going to want to play through things other than your current amp someday.

Effects on the amp don’t hurt it of course, and it’s really cool the thing has all the other amp and cab sims on it, that’s neat. But it should not be a primary purchase motivator.

7 Likes

So far I am absolutely LOVING my LT25. It’s a perfect practice amp. Love some of the presets! I am wondering if anyone here has used the USB out to record, and to what. I am now starting to experiment with it and GarageBand. Recording audio is totally new to me. But anyone reading this, I think it’s a great amp at a great price.

4 Likes

I’ve used it to record. My last two videos posted on Post your covers! I used the usb out with the FatBassman preset. Do you have the Fender Tone app for it?

3 Likes

Yes and that preset happens to be MY FAVORITE!!! I love the Tone app. Love all the Fender products. Really solid. Couldnt be happier.

4 Likes

I don’t have the Lt25 but I did buy the Rumble 25 as a practice amp and I like it for what it does. I was on a budget or I would have opted for a larger amp.

4 Likes

Thats what I love about the 2nd hand market.
I got a collection of SWR gear for $300.

$100
SWR WorkingMan 10
80w (120w with 8ohm add on cab)

$100
SWR WorkingMan15
160w (200w with 8ohm add on cab)

$100
SWR WorkingMan 410
4 x 10" - 8ohm Add On Cab

Couldn’t be happier.

Plus I got a working Gallien Krueger Backliine 250w amp head that somebody was gonna sell for $20 or throw in the trash. I paid the $20 and I can use it just fine with that 4x10 cab

A little $$ goes a LONG way if you are patient and find the right seller

Not saying the Fender Rumble 25, or LT25 is not a great amp, just that if you go 2nd hand, you will usually get more for your money

3 Likes

@T_dub the second hand market is really the way to go like you said more bang for the buck and patience. Nice rig

3 Likes

Good choice. I also bought the LT25 and love it. Great little practice amp and effect presets are fun.

1 Like

It’s a great little practice amp. My son got one for his birthday and now I got my ZOOM B1Four back :raised_hands:

3 Likes

Y’all are awesome! I bought a Fender full size acoustic/electric after not having a bass for over 20 years. Found out quickly full scale and big neck were just enough combination to cause fatigue, and fast!
Started reading up on short scale and pulled the trigger on a Bronco. Loving it.
Last weekend, bought a Rumble LT25 and started practicing through the phones while stumbling through the presets.
Found a forum or two like this one, recommending the Tone app and firmware update. BINGO!
Last night’s practice was great fun, and I am looking forward to making a Top 10 list of songs I want to work on for the next stretch of time.
Joining this forum and some FB groups dedicated to Bronco, Rumble, Fender, etc are probably going to save me from a relapse. Seriously!
Dig it.

4 Likes

I am just starting out and also got an LT25. So far it seems perfect for practice, or jamming in the basement with friends.

One thing I did right away is add these cabinet corners so it doesn’t get banged up while carrying it around:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00JQYV456

3 Likes

Hi! Can anyone who has the amp answer a question please? I saw that there are presets on the Fender Tone website. Can you download them and use them in the desktop app? Because it won’t let me download them and I see that some of the presets have multiple mod/stomp/delay effects but in the app you can only select one of each.

3 Likes

I have an LT25 but I think the 10,000 presets advertised on the Fender website is for certain amps that have WiFi and /or Bluetooth capability.

3 Likes

You’re right. I watched a review of the Rumble Studio 40 and it has much more pedals and amp models.

3 Likes

Hey! Do you mind if I ask how You can record the LT25 straight into your computer?

2 Likes

Welcome, to the forum @AQman.

I don’t have a Rumble LT25, but like most combo amps it shouls have an XLR (balanced) output. From my amps, I plug that into a DAI (digital audio interface) that goes USB to my computer, and I run it in GarageBand, but there are many other DAW (Digital Audio Workshops) that you can get from the Free download Audacity, the Free GarageBand and then many more stand alone or packaged with DAI equipment.
You can find threads discussing these. Reaper, Pro Tools, Abledon (sp?) etc…

Once you have that set up, you can play the bass thru the computer (speakers or headphones) and you can learn how to record tracks.

On many amps, the XLR output has option of Pre or Post.

This means, if you select PRE, that the bass goes directly from the input to the computer, without any effects or pre-amp eq settings. it is clean bass straight in.

If you select post, it will go to the computer after going thru the Pre-amp and effect settings.

One other trick to watch for.

When I say Pre- or Post either bypassing or including effects, this is ASSUMING, and ONLY if you are using an Effects Loop on your amp, where you send a cord from the back of the amp (or front, depending on the amp set up) out to your effect pedals and then back to the amp (hence being called a FX LOOP).
If you set up your effects like this, then if you select the PRE your effects will be bypasses all effects and send a clean signal direct from the bass.
However
If you DO NOT use the FX loop, and you run your bass thru all your effects, into the input (active or passive) on your amp, if you don’t want to get the FX to the computer and only want the clean bass, it will not do that by pressing PRE. If that is what you want, either you need to turn off all the FX and just send a clean signal to the input on the amp, or put the fx on the FX loop and use the PRE button.
Sorry if that is confusing, if you need a little more clarification, I can try to get some pictures, or another member may have a better way to word it so it is more clear.
But ask away, we are here to help. at least try to help.

2 Likes

Welcome @AQman!
I have an LT25. I use the USB out on the top right of the amp directly into my computer. I use Garage Band for recording and it has no problem recognizing the amp as a DAI. I recommend the Fender Tone app to help you to set the USB output level of the amp.
I hope this helps.

5 Likes