Finding the KEY?

Hi Friends
I’ve been away for sometime, but i haven’t stopped plucking. however, i feel like i’ve hit a wall.
I’m curious if anyone knows of an app or easy look and tell to find the key of a song?
I suppose it likely comes with practise, and i did see a youtube video of two floating around about using the A string and plucking your way down the string to see what harmonizes the best, but i find myself second guessing?

i assume that this might come from a high end theory practise too, but i’m just struggling to figure out the key of songs…
any help or tip would be huge,
Thanks a bunch,
Stay Healthy Friend and Stay in Tune.
G

3 Likes

There’s a ton of web sites that have key and BPM info. You kind of need a critical eye using them though; often the BPM is halved or doubled, and the key is sometimes actually the relative major or minor instead of that is reported. But you can often get by with just google here.

For on-device, I like the iOS Yamaha Chord Tracker app.

3 Likes

Moises will and show you each chord change too

2 Likes

Interesting choice of songs :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Was in my head, not planning to cover it :slight_smile:

If I did I would have to go for the Coil version, I can’t sing like Marc Almond :rofl:

3 Likes

garage band

1 Like

Yeah lots of DAW plugins can do this. Scaler 2 is an excellent example.

1 Like

I have an app on my Android phone called Song Key Finder that, well, finds song keys. It will either listen to a song or it can scan an mp3 file directly.

It usually seems to get it right, although not 100%. Since it is a free app I’m not complaining.

1 Like