Finger independence exercises

I’m plagued with fingers that just don’t really want to function well independently on my fretting hand since I 1st started leaning the bass 8 months ago.
I found some exercises that get you playing notes on frets with every different combination of fingers (1&2, 2&3, 3&4, 1&3, 2&4, 1&4, etc) over & over again until you get good at it, which seems to make sense. Not particularly fun but I’ll try anything to get my fingers more fluid if it means I can play better & progress.
Any input from anyone on this method or another method? I truly love learning how to play bass.
Thanks.

3 Likes

This

1 Like

Hey, Mitch here, I also play Banjo and I have been doing the fingers exrecises you mentioned for 8 years now and it has really helped. I can already see a great deal of progress.

1 Like

You’ve probably heard about it already, but Bass Hanon is full of these types of exercises.

I’ve also recently bought two more books. One is called Bass Technique Finger Gym, and it’s basically more of the same, but I’m finding these a bit more fun than Hanon so far.

And the other book is Electric Bass – Improve Your Groove, which is not exactly what you were asking for, but I think it would probably help. It’s more focused on groove and feel and timing, but since there’s tons of short 4-bar grooves in this book, it implicitly exposes your fingers to lots of different challenges. I’m having loads of fun with this one.

2 Likes

Thank you for the information. I will definitely consider those books. I tend to be a perfectionist & will do everything I can to get to a level of playing that satisfies me.

1 Like

Ahh yes my son got me one of those it does help with finger strength.

2 Likes

Look up an exercise called the spider.

3 Likes

Yep. Josh teaches it too. It worked for me!

2 Likes