Finger Spacing

For some reason I keep using my index finger and my little finger when changing notes alot. Seem I cant get the strech between the index and ring finger to work.
Only reason I mention it is when playing the other day one of the band members asked me why I was playing that way. Is there something I could do to possibly correct this.

5 Likes

When practicing by myself, I would play slooooooowwwww (even scales and chords up and down the neck to a metronome or drum track) and consciously use the index and ring finger until I could do it cleanly without thinking about it. Then increase speed as I get more comfortable.

3 Likes

@Rvinny, that’s good advice by @AnotherJosh.

But keep in mind that, as long as you’re hitting notes cleanly and in tempo, there’s nothing wrong with using your index and little finger to fret stretches, even on whole note stretches. We all are built and wired uniquely, so go with what works for you.

Now, if you’re not able to play cleanly and in tempo using the index and little finger technique, strongly consider practicing with micro-shifting. This technique is time-honored and totally valid.

3 Likes

It’s good that you can use the little finger as many people can’t use it an only play with 3 fingers.

Sometimes I just play without the index finger on both hands. It forces me to work on the “other coordination”. It takes time to build up strength and a few specific songs that require the finger combinations, after that you’d start using more of it.

3 Likes

If it ain’t broke don’t fix it.

James Jameson plucks with one finger. A lot of musical icons have characteristic technique outside the norm.

4 Likes

I’ve found that I use my pinky more than I do my ring finger after making a concerted effort to strengthen my little finger.
Strangely I’m actually trying to use my ring finger more often as it has noticeably weakened

2 Likes

For guitar players, the ring finger is definitely the strongest one next to the index finger. As such, it’s challenging for guitar players to use the little finger on bass. Different strokes, and all that.

3 Likes

Yup. And nobody listening to what you are playing gives AF how you do it, as long as it doesn’t sound like hot trash.

3 Likes

Sigh, that hurts! :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

Hot Trash would be a good name for an effects pedal…

6 Likes

Or a band!

3 Likes

I prefer Hot Tuna. Jack Casady is a legendary bass badass.

1 Like

You’re not doing anything wrong. You’re just using the Simandl method.

2 Likes

Wow, thanks, Ill throw that out there next time I’m questioned about it.
Thanks for the heads up.
Rich

3 Likes