Finite.. the bass build lives

Finite for now. Looks like a bass . plays like a bass. Built with hand tools, a jigsaw, and plunge router. Not professional looking, but not bad for a first attempt with no clue what i was doing. Lots of mistakes and heavy as a log, but its mine.

27 Likes

Well done. I couldn’t make a bass out of Leggos

3 Likes

Glad to see you decided to finish it after all. It may not have turned out the way you wanted it to, but you built it with your own two hands. You should be very proud.

6 Likes

Indeed, be proud. You made a functional musical instrument out of spare wood and parts. That’s incredible.

5 Likes

I think it came out great @Old_WannaBe.
The fact that you did it alone is impressive.
Do you like how it plays?

4 Likes

Love it. It has a G&L Marcus Miller vibe to it. The Steampunk style Pickguard screws are fun too(until you have to remove them, lol).

4 Likes

Having built a couple basses myself, I LOVE what you’ve done with it…the colors are very striking.

5 Likes

Not bad at all, @Old_WannaBe . . . :wink:

About all I can do in woodcrafting after all these years is to make some pencil sharpener shavings . . . :roll_eyes:

I really like woodgrain-style basses (next to painted white) and the contrast between the dark and light woods in very striking.

Thanks, thumbs up, and wishing you continued success!

Cheers
Joe

7 Likes

Here is a crappy video of some direct sound samples. I accidentally ordered higher gauge strings, and I haven’t got it set up perfectly yet, so my playing is very clunky. I am getting a lot of fret buzzing on the low end, so I must have a high fret up there around 2-3. This thing resonates like crazy, which is good and bad, as I am getting a lot of string noise. Anyway. Here it is.

Test of NEw bass - YouTube

5 Likes

Looks like a bass, sounds like a bass….I think you built a bass!
Totally awesome man.

9 Likes

I cannot even begin to describe the immense joy of playing an instrument that you yourself built.

10 Likes

So do they hassle you on the warranty?

5 Likes

You built a great bass, great job! I love it as I never get tired of natural wood on basses. I was about to ask you how it feels to play something you put together yourself but you just chimed in. :grin:

3 Likes

Assholes keep saying they are busy and i have v to pay for shipping

4 Likes

I think this is absolutely amazing that you conceived and built such a cool bass !!!

3 Likes

Love it! It is a beauty.

2 Likes

I wouldn’t even know where to begin. Well done you. That is amazing!

2 Likes

Thanks for all the kind words. I hate to be the cliche: “If I can do it anyone can” dude, but seriously, before this project my skills with hand tools was quite lacking. With the neck, pickups and harness purchased, doing the body is just measuring, a steady hand, and lots of patience. Buy or make routing templates and go slow. Its not rocket surgery! Also DON’T USE BASSWOOD–it dings if you sneeze on it.

I am really enjoying playing this. The electronics (from guitarfetish) can be wonky at times as sometimes My pots go dead when I turn the tone all the way down (not that I do that often on this guy anyways).

Lots of good tutorials on youtube. The most helpful for me was the dude from GunsNGuitars who makes basses and guitars with handtools and a portable workbench whilst living out of a motorhome. He has some really good vids and tips.

5 Likes

Been there!