First bass line you ever learned?

For me, Nirvana’s Smells Like Teen Spirit.

(Can’t believe that song’s 27 years old now!)

1 Like

Nirvana’s Breed.
Same album, song 5 on side one, I believe?

1 Like

I’ll post here when it happens! Hehe

1 Like

Ooh good question! Technically first was a simplified version of Hit The Road Jack that my dad taught me.

Then I think it was I Wanna Be Sedated by The Ramones, still love that tune and teach it to students sometimes.

1 Like

It was a 12 bar blues like the one you tought in the course.
First I tried

And then I found out it‘s not as easy as it sounds.
1 Like

Oh cool, is this coming in the course?

1 Like

Nope, actually no Ramones tunes made it into the Beginner to Badass course, maybe in the next one. I do happen to have some old sheet music for it lying around though…

1 Like

Wow, thank you Josh, will do an in between lesson during the course myself.

2 Likes

Don’t remember a line but the first song I learned all the way thru was “Gonna fly now” from the first Rocky movie.

2 Likes

Ooh, that’s a great bass line!

Was a lot of fun to be playing my sax in the school band then put it down and walk to the front of the stage
, pick up my bass we’d play this song then I’d go back to my sax. Cool for a 7th grader, wish I hadn’t taken a 3 decade break.

3 Likes

With or Without You from U2.
I somewhat laughed when I did the lesson on this riff. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Nervous Breakdown by Black Flag.

So simple even I could play it :crazy_face:

2 Likes

House of the Rising Sun by The Animals. Only 35 years ago when even that version of the song was already old.

I was (briefly) in a band at school and was taught the line by the guitarist, Porl King of Rosetta Stone (and he isn’t even the most famous person from the band). I borrowed the bass off a neighbour so that I could be in the band, although I’m sure having a house to practice in helped more.

It was my birthday last week and I woke in the morning and told my wife I was going to relearn the bass line that day - talk about trying to relive my youth. I did learn it, by the way, and it took far less time than the first time.

3 Likes

Module 10, lesson 2 :slight_smile:

And well done!

4 Likes