First ding on my bass. Heartbroken. What was your first ding?

I can’t count the dings on Greenie. also can’t remember the first one … certainly many years ago.

10 Likes

Well when you lay it down on old farm equipment… it’s bound to happen!

9 Likes

Yup. Exactly like in the pic. Both of 'em.

2 Likes

https://www.ebay.com/itm/275759730483

(which you clearly already found :rofl: )

2 Likes

Yeah, they sometimes show up on Reverb for like… $200. I’ll wait, I don’t want to pay close to $400 for a bass I had twenty years ago just for sentimental reasons. :smiley:

3 Likes

Well there’s other reasons too; nice high quality, light instrument. Yamaha’s instruments made in Taiwan were great.

2 Likes

Mine slid off a chair at a jam. Fortunately its on the back edge at the bridge end above the strap lock so some black Gluboost did the trick and its in line with my strap.

3 Likes

My first bass was a Peavey Foundation PJ from the late 80’s. I thought it needed EMG pickups but the cavity wasn’t big enough. A friend said he could fix it.

Well, he fixed it real good and managed to crack the body in the process. Plenty of small dings before that happened but that was by far the worst.

It was a sad day in bass world.

6 Likes

:cry:

2 Likes

Stuck my Yamaha in a running ceiling fan. The fan got the worst end of the deal but it did leave a dent in the headstock. :sob:

4 Likes

Not my bass (I described my scratching my first dream bass above), but today this happened to my Telecaster (and apparently this was inevitable):

replacement on the way

4 Likes
6 Likes

Ooh I like that

2 Likes

this is the start of adding Mojo to your bass. Think of it as the first stroke of relic’ing.

3 Likes

I dropped my Yamaha BB735 onto the floor while unboxing. The impact onto my hardwood flòor broke a tuning peg and created a small chip on the back of the neck. I replaced the tuning peg (actually upgraded all 5 to Hipshots) and don’t pay any attention to the ding on the neck. She sounds great, that’s all that matters.

6 Likes

I understand that in the end it didn’t matter, and even gave you a reason to GAS for upgraded tuners, but man, that would’ve crushed me when it happened if I did that…

6 Likes

I have a bottle of clear nail polish. It has a little brush attached to the cap. If I ever get a ding I just dab a little clear polish on it and it’s good as new. Dogs knocked it over a couple of times.

5 Likes

No matter if you gig with it or just play at home, it’s gonna happen. Gives it character!

3 Likes

I have my dog thank for 90% of my bass’s dings.

5 Likes

The first time I dinged an instrument is was to my nearly new Gibson Les Paul on its first string change. I dropped an allen key and dinged the AAA maple top.

Man, I was pi$$ed with myself for being so clumsy. I got over the ding bothering me pretty quickly but it definitely impacted the resale value.

Then, being a Gibson, the nitro finish started checking all of it’s own accord and the tiny ding became utterly meaningless. :rofl:

I still try to keep my instruments immaculate, but if they pick up marks in use, it doesn’t bother me.

6 Likes