First jam session

I really want to connect with local musicians. I don’t feel I’m quite ready to “jam” though. There’s a few FB groups in my areas always looking for people. Would it be weird to “tag along”? Just looking to learn where I can, and i LOVE live music.

5 Likes

No I don’t think it’s weird at all. Just remember that EVERYONE was where you were at some point. Just be honest that you’re a beginner and really keen to learn from more experienced musicians. They will either welcome you along or not (and if they don’t then they probably are not the people for you anyway). There will most likely be people amongst the group that really like teaching others how to play in a band/musical environment. Give it a go, if you really don’t like it after a couple of sessions then don’t go back.

5 Likes

Are these just jam sessions or are they bands looking for a Bass player?
Sounds like they might just be jam sessions in which case you should have no problems.

Jam sessions always seem to welcome players of all experience levels and if they don’t as @Bassdacious said “they probably are not the people for you anyway”. I am involved in 4 different jam sessions and all of them would welcome you. We have people that just come to hear the live music and do not play. It’s all good. :slightly_smiling_face:

So go meet them and see what they are about. No harm in that. Take your Bass if you want. You may be surprised at how well you will fit in.

Good luck and let us know how you make out :+1: :+1: :+1:

1 Like

Every jam I have been in has been warm, inviting and welcoming. Hang out, listen to music, get a feel for the room. If you just want to sit there with your bass in your lap, no one will bat an eye, though they might try to gently nudge you into playing.
As for worrying about playing in front of other people, I will refer you to my Drool story. Until you can top that, you’re doing fine :grin:

2 Likes