Fixing Finish Problems

THAT is an all-important consideration in a gigging environment.

2 Likes

But it won’t do you any good if you play in a redneck bar that has a mesh screen between you and the drunks to protect you from the beer bottles they throw. Did two or three of these venues over the years. Never again :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

1 Like

I was only half joking about the OLFA knife

Pretty much every finishing carpenter I’ve worked with over the past 30 years has an OLFA knife or two in his toolbox.
If I’m installing lock sets I’ll trace/scribe the outside of the strike plate with the OLFA knife to avoid it chipping out then use a chisel to ease in the plate.
If I want to make a cut and not chip the finish I’ll tape the piece of wood with painters tape, lay out my line, score my line with an OLFA knife then finish the cut with a chop saw.
Tools are just that, tools. The less experienced see them as a means to open the latest Amazon delivery; other professional trades see it as a multi purpose tool to achieve many different outcomes.

Just play Rawhide and you’ll be fine

Spam makes a good furniture polish.

That’s every relic job :joy:

1 Like

New Shimmer - its a floor wax, and a dessert topping!

2 Likes

Tastes great, and look at that shine!

SNL was great in those days. Next up the bass-o-matic

2 Likes

I grew up watching SNL when I was too young to watch it.
Turned me onto Carlin, Steve Martin, Andy Kaufman, and of course the original cast.
That show essentially solidified the kind of humor I liked for the rest of my life.

I have several :slight_smile:

Even a bit later, the early Mike Meyers stuff was good.

“And now, on Sprockets, it is time we dance!”

2 Likes

Deiter was one of my favorite characters. I still use one of his lines, including accent, on my wife.
“You are beautiful and angular. If you were a gas you’d be inert.”
Luckily, she thinks I’m funny.

2 Likes

So long as she touches your monkey… :sweat_smile:

1 Like

It might be a bit. I’ve discovered a bit of an electrical problem that I’m not sure how to deal with. So it’s sitting… over there, untouched, until I figure it out.

In the meantime, I’m playing my Carvin.

1 Like

I HAVE BECOME A 3M GRAY SCOTCH BRITE CONVERT!

I messed around with some 0000 steel wool above, and it worked, but I am a bit leery of steel wool it turns out. Something about the way it feels in my hands… it’s like nails on a chalkboard. Anyway, I finally ordered myself some of the gray 3M Scotch Brite pads recommended above and HOLY HELL. It was like magic. The shiny part pictured above looks just like the horn, now, after only a few passes with the pad. Even the shine around the pick marks has almost disappeared, which makes the pick marks barely noticeable.

I know I promised pictures, and they’ll come. I’m going to take off the strings and the knobs and get to some places I can’t get with them on, then I’ll post 'em.

7 Likes

White pads are even finer I believe.

3 Likes

Yep. They work great. I don’t use steel wool now, I just don’t. The 3M-style pads are really good.

3 Likes

for a final smoothing finish on film-finishes (like lacquer, poly… the stuff on basses) rubbing with a crumpled up brown paper bag is magical.