Flat wound vs round wound strings

That is a horrible sound. I was working on slap-pop technique & used Module 12’s “Single Pluck Disco Octaves” for my slap line. But the generic nickel roundwounds turned it into slap, pop, scraaaape, slap, pop, scraaape!

I once had a front end loader bottom out on my driveway and cut a big gouge in the concrete. That was a more pleasant sound than what I was getting from those strings.

2 Likes

This gets better over time with practice, to the point that eventually it’s mostly gone and you end up liking the little human touch you get with the minor residual slide noise you still make occasionally. Or at least I like it :slight_smile:

One of those little imperfections that actually adds to the song, often enough anyway. I like hearing them in recorded music now too.

5 Likes

oh darn that’s my problem. I only practice 4-6 hours a day every day for over 2 years. I need to step up my game. Thanks @howard :+1: :+1: :smiley_cat:

4 Likes

See, if you’d been using rounds from the start…

(just kidding - though it really does get better over time :slight_smile: )

Seriously, though, the little scrape noises can really add to the human feel of a song. Like they do for Andy Summers here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMOGaugKpzs

2 Likes

Correct, mine are stainless, and rough, so that must be the difference then!

2 Likes

slacker

5 Likes

You actually have a point there. I’m so spoiled on the stealth of flats, now I have to get used to the residual noise of rounds.

2 Likes

After 90 minutes of round my finger tips start to bleed. So when they start getting sore, I switch to tapes, which I can play all day

2 Likes

All this talk of callouses has me somewhat perplexed.
I only started playing Bass in early April this year and at that time I made a conscious decision not to play guitar while I was learning Bass. I haven’t played guitar at all in that almost 6 month period and I’ve almost completely lost my callouses in that time.

I play rounds exclusively and my experience matches Howard’s, I don’t find bass strings particularly hard on the finger tips.

(slap and pop is a different matter though… ouch!)

4 Likes

I don’t get blisters from playing either, I just hate the texture of rounds and how they feel to the touch. I’m trying to get past that.

2 Likes

Once your callouses are formed (no matter how different than guitar) one would rarely get blisters unless really over doing it.

1 Like

NO!!!
This should be left way back in the 70’s. @PamPurrs

3 Likes

LOL I can never forget the guy who asked me to dance to a slow song (I think it was in the 80s) and I said yes, not realizing he was wearing a corduroy blazer. He was highly offended because I couldn’t get close to him.
Then there was the blind date that showed up wearing corduroy pants, but I won’t talk about that one.
Just touching corduroy gives me the chills like nails on a chalkboard. If you ever want to keep me out of a room, just cover the door knob with corduroy.

3 Likes

:joy::joy::joy:

I think my mother thought it would be harder wearing than the cheaper denim so unfortunately us 3 boys were issued with several pairs of pants in our youth and brown at that if I remember correctly!

3 Likes

Yeah - I don’t get it either. Bass strings are all so big and smooth that I don’t really see the need for callouses forming at all, for fingerstyle.

Now I seriously wonder what you folks are doing, because this is completely beyond anything I remotely see happening, and I play mostly fast and hard styles.

5 Likes

I have to admit that I’m with @howard on this one. Bass is much easier on the fingers. To be fair, I’m a recovering guitar player, so my fingers are fairly tough at this point. But I feel like I could wash a sink full of dishes, look at my watch, go, “Oh shit, is the Iron Maiden tribute show tonight?” and feel pretty good about playing it. :grin:

5 Likes

Genuinely spitting my tea back in the cup laughing at that :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I don’t think I’m doing anything funky, my hands have always been sensitive.

3 Likes

Save those sensitive hands for that important work you do as a frontline medical worker. Your hands are appreciated in the hospital. :heartbeat:

6 Likes

If guitar strings are harder on the finger tips than bass strings, I’d have finger tips like Ben Grimm from the Fantastic Four if I played guitar for a few weeks.

3 Likes